Author Topic: Shooting the little Tennessee rifle  (Read 1508 times)

Offline B.Barker

Shooting the little Tennessee rifle
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:40:54 AM »
I've been shooting the little .32 I just finished up. This is rifle number twenty using a Rice brand barrel and I have to say none of their barrels have disappointed me in the accuracy department. I have found that the small calibers like a thin patch lube. I've tried deer tallow, bear oil and commercial lubes about the same consistency as deer tallow and my groups will run one to two inches at 25 yards. If I use something thin my groups tighten right up. I had some CLP break free on my work bench and decided to try it for kicks. I shot this five shot group today using the CLP. The shot that went way left was my fault. I touched the front trigger before I had my sights on the square. The other four shots are all touching and I'm sure someone with good eye sight could shrink it a bit more. I was shooting 20 grs. fffg Goex .310 Hornady round ball with pillow ticking lubed with CLP. I would have posted this in the shooting section but wanted to give a big thumbs up for the Rice barrel. I had another makers barrel in .32 and could get it to shoot well at all and tried every lube I had along with different charges and patch thicknesses. Don't ask who the other barrel was made by either. I wish I had more time to spend with this little rifle it's a fun rifle to shoot.

Offline sqrldog

Re: Shooting the little Tennessee rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 05:13:34 AM »
Brian that little rifle will put a squirrels eye out everytime if you do your part. Nice rifle all the way around.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:25:13 AM »
I planned on doing a little hunting with it but after having a buyer lined up I'm not going to. I thought it would take a while to sell and would get a chance to miss a few tree rats with it but I'm not complaining. I can pay some bills now.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »
Impressive rifle and some impressive shooting!!
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
That is a very nice little .32, alright.  Great accuracy, my .32 wears a Rice barrel.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »
My .32 shot very similar to that with 20gr. 3F GOEX, but that single hole (5shot, maybe 1/4" CtC) group opened up to 2" at 50 yards.

I had to increase the load to 35gr. to get it to like shooting at 50yards. The 25 yard groups remained the same with the heavier load,
 thus I used 35gr. 3F GOEX for all ranges.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:07:40 AM »
That is such a delightful little rifle there.  Great lines and warm finishes.  I am guessing it begged you for some range time?  Nice shooter too.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:26:46 AM »
Dang it! Now you got me wanting to build a 32cal. I guess first I better finish the one I’m working on. What’s the dimensions on that Rice barrel?

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 04:58:40 AM »
Ross it's a Rice "A" weight barrel 42" long.

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 05:02:52 AM »
Thank you. 👍