Author Topic: Greenhorn's gun build  (Read 1994 times)

Offline steven baker

Greenhorn's gun build
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
Hi all,
I'm a greenhorn at gun building and wish to share with you like minded folk my latest incomplete project.
This one is what we call a 'mongrel' as it has parts from all over the show. Everything lock, stock and barrel, is homemade and the lumber is plain maple. Feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks a bucketful,

-Steven

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:25:26 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Greenhorn's gun build
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
Since this is a mongrel I'll not mention your parts choices and I'm assuming those lock bolts aren't permanent. Tang needs to be shorter or add a wood screw behind what you already have, very unbalanced look. Lock panel edges are funky, study originals or well made contemporary guns...in hand. I'm a little unclear about your upper forestock shape...what's up with that? Also your transition to the muzzle cap is rather abrupt. Your stock shaping and inletting in general are pretty good.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
I think a Bedford hammer would improve the appearance of that area.
The overall inletting is a LOT better than I've ever done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:39:55 AM »
Steven......you are doing nice work....keep it up.    You’ve built a nicely constructed gun, and your workmanship is pretty nice  ( I’ve said it before about my guns.....I’ve seen “zip guns” that looked better than my first several...maybe the last several too!) ).  Keep up the good work....study some of the books on longrifles,  also and the later muzzleloaders. 
K
Mikeyfirelock.....building for 48 years, and still not very good at it, but lovin’ it just the same.
Mike Mullins

Offline steven baker

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:43:43 AM »
Hi there, many many thank-you's for your constructive criticism, advice and positive notes. As I mentioned everything lock, stock and barrel were made by myself. So I consider there is nothing I can't redo with the assistance of your kind words of advice. I guess tonight I'll be sharpening up the tomahawk and making a few adjustments here and there. Take care all.

Regards,
-Steven

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:20 PM »

This is the hammer I meant - on the right.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 03:04:58 AM »
Steven,Considering that this is one of your first gun builds,  and that you made all of your own parts, I would say finish it and shoot it. What lies ahead of you now is refining the styles of individual parts and of the whole rifle. Finish it make another one and don't look back. Nice work.Clint

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 01:55:02 AM »
Hi Steven,

Welcome to ALR.  Making a lock and barrel from scratch is an accomplishment not many have done. Congratulations.  Your file work and inletting looks good.  I have a couple of suggestions that might improve the looks a bit.  I would add another screw in the barrel tang, as Smart Dog suggested, but I would countersink both holes and install dome-headed countersunk screws with a single slot.  Are the lock screws made for a phillips and slotted driver?  I would replace them with a single-slotted screw.  It may just be the camera angle, but your ramrod appears to be buried pretty deep in the stock wood.  It will make the forearm look slimmer if at least half, or even a bit more, of the ramrod is visible from the side.

On your next gun, stretch the lock panels out a bit on each end, maybe end the rear of the panel with a point, and make the top and bottom even a little narrower.  All the same width all the way around is less pleasing to the eye.

Keep up the good work.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 02:23:11 AM »
Looks good. Listen to Mike Brooks (he gave you what amounts to a huge complement). Thin the wrist. Work on that nose cap to stock transition. Upper and Lower lock panels should angle into the top and bottom and not follow the lock. Better than my first. Cheers.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:06 AM »
You have shown that you have the skills to be a great gunmaker. You have been given a lot of good advise here by some very knowledgeable folks. Listen and learn. You have the skill you just need to research and study originals and good contemporary work. Keep up the good work. There is so much to learn.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry