Author Topic: Recipe for patch lube  (Read 3590 times)

Lobo

Recipe for patch lube
« on: October 02, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
I've got some rendered bear grease and some bee's wax. I made patch lube years ago but I don't remember the recipe I used....any help for an old man's fading memory? 

About how much bees wax to add to liquefied bear grease  :-\
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:18:59 PM by Lobo »

Offline Frank

Re: Recipe for patch lube
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
Zero . Melted wax is not something you want in your barrel  if you want to stiffen up the bear grease add some deer tallow.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
Bear grease can be used as it is. No need to add anything to it.
Bear's oil, should be just fine as it is, no need to add anything to it.
I've used both, as-is.
I've also used Marmot oil, as is and it was perfect.
I have found Vaseline:Beeswax mix 40:60 to work great as a black powder lube for grooved bullets in muzzleloading rifles.
mixed by weight.  It is too stiff for patch lube in any weather.
I do not like stiff lubes in patches I have never found, in over 40years of shooting muzzleloading rifles, to need a wax of any sort in the patch lube.
Some guys have had bad luck with wax in their lubes, creating crusty fouling. I cannot see that happening, though, unless there is a lot of blow-by of
flame and burning gasses, actually burning the lube onto the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
wax in my lube = fouling and hard ring wipe every 3 shots(or break the ram rod I did :-[ ) mutton straight = no wipe or ring better groups . I melt the lube then dip patch strips  squeeze till almost dry. 

seems to work

Offline mikeo

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:09:12 PM »
If you don’t have bear grease, there are lots of big fat raccoons out there and the grease/oil rendered from them works just as well.

Mikeo
mikeo

Lobo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:10:41 AM »
you don’t have bear grease, there are lots of big fat raccoons out there and the grease/oil rendered from them works just as well.

Once you get the fat off there's some good meat to eat.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »
to actually answer your question:
If you feel the need to add beeswax (which I also don't recommend) no more than 10% wax to oil regardless of where you live in this country.
The "Muskrat" has spoken
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:40:58 AM »
  If you need some bear grease-oil Lobo when you are up to Riverdale stop over to my place just off Douglas on the north side of Steven  Lake  next place north of the old mud bog

Lobo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 02:19:52 AM »
I can be seen at the Riverdale tavern every Tuesday for "Taco Tuesday" and deep fried cod on Fridays.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
I did a search for mutton tallow and found this, hump fat, yes, a camel hump! 

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Farms-Hump-Fat-14/dp/B076PN2Q6X/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=tallow&qid=1570208730&sr=8-36

Amazon has lamb tallow in smaller quantities to experiment with.  Just search mutton tallow and lamb tallow.

I also found mutton tallow much cheaper at a paleo foodie site but the minimum purchase was more than I want to do today. 
https://grasslandbeef.com/lamb-tallow

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
Every time we get a post like this there must be 10 different Fat/Tallow recipes and testimonials. They all probably work just fine and shoot just as well as long as they are ones that don't go rancid. Some have to be rendered by yourself some come already to use. Some are oils some are grease.
As for The "Muskrat" I save a lot of time and effort and buy a large container of 100% Neatsfoot oil and use it right out of the bottle. Works great, shoots great, not overly oily on my patches after drying, lasts forever and doesn't go rancid. 1 bottle will do thousands of patches. As for the grease the last really good one I tried was DGL lube for those BPCR bullets and add 50% more olive oil to the tub. Made enough grease for me and a couple of other shooters who wanted some. Works great but I still don't like "greasy" patches.
The "Muskrat" has spoken.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »
Track's Mink Oil works very well and even worked fine for me down to -40.

Has anyone tried the mink oil that is commercially sold be other stores for boots, etc? I see Princess Auto here in town has 2 different makes, however both of them
have a petroleum-solvent-like odor. They both look like Track's but do not smell the same.

Neetsfoot oil straight out of the can (I buy it by the quart), as Mike says, works just fine as-is. It is also what DPhar uses for hunting.  I loaded with and shot some patches
I had lubed with Neetsfoot oil, perhaps 3 years later, and although slightly gummy, worked just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »
For mutton tallow, Dixie Gun Works. I purchase a couple tubs at a time, fill my in the bag tin, and bottom shelf refrigerator the rest. Jerry

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »
I just rendered two gal. of bear lard and am waiting for the oil to seperate  now. I like the oil the best because it penitrates the patch better and doesnt just cover the surface of the material.

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »
This may sound crazy, but I have experimented a bit lately. I am using pure olive oil on my patches. 3rd load is way easier that a clean bore. I have not shot 20 rounds without a wipe, but 10-12 is no problem. Cleanup is a breeze. Lube the dry bore with a cleaning patch wet with olive oil. No rust at all.
For what it's worth.
Tony

Offline msellers

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
This may sound crazy, but I have experimented a bit lately. I am using pure olive oil on my patches. 3rd load is way easier that a clean bore. I have not shot 20 rounds without a wipe, but 10-12 is no problem. Cleanup is a breeze. Lube the dry bore with a cleaning patch wet with olive oil. No rust at all.
For what it's worth.
Tony
Might be worth trying something like grapeseed oil, has a much higher flash temperature so it won't polimerize as essy. Plus doesn't seem to go rancid like pure olive oil. But as long as you aren't storing long term, the rancid probably is a non issue.
Mike