Author Topic: Who is currently offering the best 1803 Harpers Ferry kit?  (Read 1072 times)

m1garand_man

Who is currently offering the best 1803 Harpers Ferry kit?
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »
I am doing some research toward getting a model 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle kit. I am curious who currently makes the best quality kid available on the market currently. I was looking at the Track of the Wolf kit but I have been told by them before that I may have to Source my own ramrod separately. That may or may not be an issue it all depends on what I'm able to find. I'm just curious what other options are out there that you guys would recommend based off of personal experience.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Who is currently offering the best 1803 Harpers Ferry kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:30:02 PM »
Check with Don Stith donstith.com Don is a member here and is great to deal with and offers nice products.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
In my opinion, there is no good Harpers Ferry kit available.  The last on I built was built using Track of the Wolf parts and a walnut blank.  Specific details to my build were as follows.  I hollowed out the under rib to help balance things out, made my own ramrod, and spent a bunch of hours modifying the Davis lock to get it to work, i.e. one position sear, for a single trigger.  I also rounded the bottom barrel flats as were the early production models.  A Harpers Ferry is not an easy gun to assemble.  I have build numerous Hawken rifles years past, which many builders say is a hard rifle to build, and I would have to say that the Harpers Ferry was harder to get right than any of the Hawkens.  There are many variations to the 1803 so you need to do your research.  I don't think I found in my research 2 originals that were alike.  They all had similar characteristics but were all different, just like a Hawken.
David     

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
That sounds like an old machinist/toolmaker here years ago,Charlie Lawson when
he said he didn't like production work because he had a hard time getting ONE of
anything alike much less two. I associate myself with Charlie's position.

Bob Roller