Author Topic: Original Longrifle  (Read 2058 times)

Offline looper

Original Longrifle
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:38:07 AM »
A friend has come into possession of this gun and doesn't know much about it. I thought I'd post it on here and see what you fellers think.

He started disassembling it with the anticipation of reusing some of the parts on a new build, and, unfortunately, starting cleaning up the brass. I haven't seen this gun first hand, so can only go by the pictures, and his description.

The barrel is now a touch over 40" long. It looks as though it was shortened, as there are some extra dovetails on the barrel. My initial thought is that this might be a circa 1830 North Carolina gun and suspect that it might have originally been a flintlock.

WESTbury

Re: Original Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:09:18 AM »
Interesting rifle, someone got their money's worth out of it.

Just curious, why do you think it was originally flint?

Offline looper

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:27:43 AM »
It looks like there is a spot where the wood was relieved where the cock would have rested. The wood ahead of that spot has broken off. It doesn't look like that lock plate was converted though, and I don't see where a frizzen spring would have been mounted, so this may have been percussion the whole time. I do know that the barrel was shortened from the breech, maybe by 3-4".

WESTbury

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:50:35 AM »
I know, it is difficult to tell sometimes.

Do you or your friend think that the lock may not be the original?

Is there only one lock bolt hole or is there evidence there was another, now plugged, in the area that corresponds with the front of the lockplate?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:51:10 AM »
It looks like the stock was originally a flint gun, but the lock plate in place now isn't the original, judging by the fit.
The trigger might be a giveaway to the maker as its unusual.
John Robbins

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:05:07 AM »
It looks like the stock was originally a flint gun, but the lock plate in place now isn't the original, judging by the fit.
The trigger might be a giveaway to the maker as its unusual.

The clearance cut in the lockplate for the percussion bolster does look a little ragged.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
I’ve seen those spurred triggers before, but not on a single trigger. Was this built as a single trigger, or was one of the triggers removed?

Hungry Horse

Offline looper

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
It’s double. There is a pic of the triggers in the last group.

WESTbury

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
I just noticed that it looks as like the barrel tang/breechplug does not fit tightly at the rear of the barrel, or possibly just unscrewed a turn or two.

Looks can be deceiving though.

Offline looper

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Yes, he completely disassembled the whole gun. Nothing has been pinned back in or screwed together.

WESTbury

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 12:06:12 AM »
It will be interesting to see what he eventually assembles with all of the components.

Thanks for sharing the photos.