Author Topic: Kuntz ??- original photos  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Kuntz ??- original photos
« on: October 15, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
         I recently posted photos of a friend's rifle that has been reliably attributed to Kuntz.   Tom said that he would like to see the original, so here are the photos that I have.  I am sorry that I do not have overall full length photos, but I concentrated my build photos on the detail areas.   At the time of shooting the photos, I made a full length pattern from the original to use for my build.  My friend has subsequently sold the original, so it is no longer available to me. 

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

dogbest

Re: Kuntz ??- original photos
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
Wow! What a nice gun.

WESTbury

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »
Your buddy is a fortunate guy. He has an outstanding rifle.

Thanks to you and him for sharing.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Painted stripes!  Love it.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:23:29 PM »
I bet it hurt to let that one go.  I'm glad I had the chance to examine it in person.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Ron, you started with a beautiful Kuntz, and the "copy" you made is extraordinary!  I know that checkering is not often seen on longrifles, and yours is clearly over the top.
But it looks like feathers on the top of the owl's head on the original.  Or angels with a hairpiece!
Many thanks for these  photos.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »
Looks like a Peter Kunitz to me.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 02:27:23 AM »
I can see why you wanted to copy this rifle...many features that are extremely captivating.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »
I have noticed the odd rifle with for want of a better description  a lovely long elegant  curve to the stock, giving it a lot of drop at the comb. Is this particular style pertinent to one area?  or just the late Mr Kuntz style of rifle?
  Kind regards

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:06 AM »
Painted stripes!  Love it.

All of them? If so THAT would be worth a Tutorial. The transition between some of them is so life like.

Tim

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 12:30:24 AM »
They look pretty much all painted to me, but since so many of them have faded or worn, the remnants (in certain areas) seem to be creating the appearance of a lower grade of maple with some subtle natural curl.    It's possible there is some really subtle figure in certain areas of the stock but frankly, just going by the photos, it looks mostly if not all painted to me and probably looked a lot less subtle when new.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!