Author Topic: Poulon auction  (Read 1118 times)

Offline wabeek

Poulon auction
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
Has anyone noticed the Poulon Antiques auction for Oct. 20?  Decent photos & descriptions but never reference to reconversion or restoration, but interesting  & extensive collection!

WESTbury

Re: Poulon auction
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
There are some references to refinishing in the descriptions and at least one description, that for Lot#3446 Nicholas Beyer rifle, they mention reconversion.

The trouble is, they put so much disconnected BS in these descriptions on purpose, that the facts get hidden. Mike D'Ambra told me years ago that most, but not all, Kentuckies are reconverted. Mike's is known in collector circles for his accurate descriptions.

If you look at close-up photos of the flintlocks on most rifles and muskets, it is usually apparent that they are recons. If I am considering buying a flintlock musket form an auction house, I ask them for a photo of the inside of the lock and the area of the barrel around the touchhole. If they won't provide one, I pass.

Really, the best course of action is to travel to the auction and inspect the guns in person. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:47:59 PM by WESTbury »

Offline wabeek

Re: Poulon auction
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Mike is the best!  I assume a reconversion and try to determine otherwise.  An interesting collection to study...Beck, Beyer and beyond.