Author Topic: Hog Hammer finally finsihed!  (Read 8215 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Hog Hammer finally finsihed!
« on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
This was an interesting project. I was given a pile of parts and a price ceiling and told to make what ever I wanted and here it is. I know this fellow to be very fond of Antes architecture so I went with that for a foundation which lead me to using mainly Christian's Spring decorative features which I enjoy plus a lot of Brooksisms thrown into the mix. The cheek carving is right off an Antes rifle, the carving at the tang you see on many early Germanic styled  guns. The lock panels are very Christian's Springs. The raised panel around the box is taken from an Oerter gun, Oerter's was in wire but this is done in relief. The wire Moravian Star on the cheek is also CS inspired. The volutes and related carving at the rear pipe is another Antes inspiration as is the thumbnail finial on the rear pipe, the buttplate and the trigger guard. The sideplate is right off an Antes rifle. All the circle punching is a Christians Springs peculiarity that I used liberally through out the decoration to create a textured effect. The wavy gravy buttstock and forestock moldings are Brooksisms , created to give the gun a look of movement and speed.The engraving is pretty near all Brooksism. The logo on the back of the buttplate  is taken off English trade guns, most often seen on the tail of the lock. And , what would a Hog Hammer be with out hogs and dogs running down the barrel? You may notice it has red paint on it. This is a continuation of experimenting with color that began on a Lehigh rifle I did last spring/summer. There is still some more paint in me in the future, Haven't quite finished taking paint every where I want to go with it yet.
 The specs: Rifled 41" Rice swamped "EDL" barrel in .60, Chambers early Ketland lock, L&R triggers. Castings are all done locally. Has a very fine piece of Harrison wood, sort of 1/4 sawn in some areas, must have come out of a sort of twisted stump. It worked very well for the most part, got some interesting washboard effect from cleaning up with scrapers...pretty authentic look close up. It has sling swivels fore and aft, but I didn't put them on for the pics. Stained with Kibler's iron nitrate followed by Klien's brownish red which took it WAY too dark. I had to rub the bejessus out of it to get it back to this color. I'll be diluting that brownish red before I ever use it again.
 This gun has really morphed and evolved as I worked on it. I was always going with this basic architecture and mounts. The carving was originally going to be all in relief with silver wire edges. I have used this technique before and it's a real eye catcher but leaves a very harsh edge to the carving, not very warm. And, for the most part the paint would have covered the wire edge. So, no wire edges.
 I encourage any comment, critique , discussion or speculation on my sanity.  And that is all I got to say about that....

upload
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Hog Hammer finally finsihed!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
You can clicky on the pics to get them bigger.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Angus

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 04:14:18 PM »
Good Lord Mike, the medication is working! Very nice.

What amount of time do you have invested?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

84 hours. That is with the barrel channel and ramrod hole already done, by Mark Weader I think....or maybe Dave Rase. I once put 120 hours into a gun that ended up in Mass. Don't know how I survived that one with my sanity...maybe I didn't. :P 70-80 hrs is about all I have patience for. Projects of this magnitude become life consuming, you live with it intimately every day until it's done.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
Cool stuff Mike. Your treatment of the stock makes it appear shorter than 41”. I’d love to lay eyes on it in 50 years. A Brooks classic.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
I was lucky enough to see this one during stages of its creation. I thought I knew how it was going to finish out. Boy oh boy was in wrong.  Much better than I expected.  I liken the contrast this paint and stained wood to that on those classic 57 chevys. Very tasteful and eye appealing. This kind of stuff is right up my alley!  Bravo Mike.

Cosby,  I really hope that you don't like the gun! You can box it up and ship it to Stoner Creek.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:08:43 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
 WOW! Pop Art meats the Long Rifle, Really Kooo L. I love it.

Tim (The one with the 'R')

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
Wow, Mike!  You hit a bases loaded home run with this one!  You continue to amaze me with your continuing work, always a bit better, a bit different.
Thanks for posting this one, which will certainly give me something to strive for.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it in person. Always wanted a Brooks creation here it is. May not be for everyone but I like it. Stoner I may let you pet it but you're gonna have to give it back. My wife is a rabid Alabama fan she said you trimmed it in the right color. By next year enough hog mud and blood sweat and handling marks and it'll be done.  Send it south or bring it Mike and we'll go kill a hog. I'll have a pretty nifty new rifle I could let you use. Thanks for taking the project. Tim

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Mike, I really liked the painted Lehigh rifle, and I like this one even more.

At first glance the red paint seems not to belong, but after a few minutes you realize that it almost works like modern camouflage. The combination of dark brown wood, and red paint is a stunning combination.

The architectural details when read as written seem kinda mish mashed. When viewed on screen, everything comes together quite well, and is very pleasing to the eye. I REALLY like the punch work.

INCREDIBLE  JOB!!!!!

R.J.BRUCE

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »

Indeed the meds ARE working and we didn't get any of it.
VERY interesting rifle to say the least.

Bob Roller

Offline Doc

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 06:15:59 PM »
Absolutely stunning mike!!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 06:19:17 PM »
This was an interesting project. I was given a pile of parts and a price ceiling and told to make what ever I wanted and here it is...speculation on my sanity.  And that is all I got to say about that...

And that's how you get a maker's best work I say. 

Well done, let 'em all spit and cuss what don't like it. I kinda like it. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
Mr Brooks, you are a madman....... I LOVE IT!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »

Indeed the meds ARE working and we didn't get any of it.
VERY interesting rifle to say the least.

Bob Roller
Thanks Bob. As I first started to imagine this gun in my head I referred to it as Bill Antes on acid... ;D

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
I really like it. It has it all.  I like the detail in the cheek piece and around the patch box the most.  The dots were a great touch too. You captured what you were after for sure. 

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
The hogs are just going to walk right up and lay down in front of you waiting to be made into sausage when you point that gun at em. WOW. Inner turmoil... I seem to be trying to convince myself that I hate it. But the more I look at it I just keep thinking I like it. If it were mine, I might rub the paint way back, so it gives more of an appearance of residual, faded old paint. But I am not sure why I want to do that... maybe because the paint scares or disturbs my sense of what I think is supposed to be. And why would that be any more right that what you have already done? Naw... leave it and let it wear naturally... Show it again after 5 years of hard hunting and I bet we might like it even better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:17:49 PM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 12:25:40 AM »
The hogs are just going to walk right up and lay down in front of you waiting to be made into sausage when you point that gun at em. WOW. Inner turmoil... I seem to be trying to convince myself that I hate it. But the more I look at it I just keep thinking I like it. If it were mine, I might rub the paint way back, so it gives more of an appearance of residual, faded old paint. But I am not sure why I want to do that... maybe because the paint scares or disturbs my sense of what I think is supposed to be. And why would that be any more right that what you have already done? Naw... leave it and let it wear naturally... Show it again after 5 years of hard hunting and I bet we might like it even better.
I can see that. I think a lot of people are seeing it this way. But, think of how "average" the gun would be with out the paint. As the owner told me, "Old Paxinosa would have killed for that gun"...…………...Yep, probably so says I. ;D

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 02:15:00 AM »
I can see that. I think a lot of people are seeing it this way. But, think of how "average" the gun would be with out the paint. As the owner told me, "Old Paxinosa would have killed for that gun"...…………...Yep, probably so says I. ;D

"Average" was defined by Paul Harvey as being the best of the worst or the worst of the best
One of my favorite non bluegrass songs is "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"by U2.
I think maybe Mike HAS found what he was looking for.
Bob Roller

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 02:31:08 AM »
        Mike were there any warnings on that prescription you are taking?   Perhaps not to take with local squeezing's etc.   You certainly marched to the beat of a different flute on that one!   No one will accuse you of being afraid to step outside of your comfort zone---or is this your comfort zone.   Every now and then you just have to do what you want to do...interesting and unique...as always...Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 02:57:46 AM »
Wish I had the nerve to try something like that. Bravo!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
Mike, I agree with what you replied. I think it's great on a lot of levels. I recently saw a painted barn gun by Lloyd Moler on facebook that hit me the same way. I felt myself trying to find a reason to not like it, but it truly was kinda working--- it was unique and different and cool, If your red painted gun was mine, I'd carry it and shoot it and enjoy it for the truly creative piece it is. I think you are beginning to channel Eric Kettenberg. Did you start drinking his brand o shine?

Ken
Galations 2:20

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 04:45:56 AM »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »
This was an interesting project. I was given a pile of parts and a price ceiling and told to make what ever I wanted and here it is...speculation on my sanity.  And that is all I got to say about that...

And that's how you get a maker's best work I say. 

Well done, let 'em all spit and cuss what don't like it. I kinda like it.

A speculation on sanity? It's dull out there in the "sane" world. I went around the bend decades
ago and plan no return trip.My excursion started in 1951 with the Duesenberg Automobile and
progressed deeper into the dark side as time went on.Long rifles and others came later along
with vintage aircraft.

Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 03:04:15 AM »
"Inner Turmoil", sounds like a good name for the rifle. I wonder, if mr B was listening to Hendrix Purple Haze while toiling ove the  great work?
I like it big time, makes me wanna put on the war paint  and go out amongst em !! Ye haaaaa!!1 Dave f 8) 8)