Author Topic: Dang old eyes  (Read 8913 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Dang old eyes
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »
I decided to finish sighting in my Kibler .32 yesterday and get after the squirrels, they have come out of the woodwork lately.

My Kibler is the standard kit with the rear sight positioned about 4" to the rear of the entry thimble. With my old eyes all I see is a double topped fuzzy blur, sighting it in was a poke and hope exercise at best although a squirrel would be in danger.

It was a cloudy day, after I thought I had everything sorta' sighted in I headed down in the woods in the late afternoon. I drew a bead on a few tree branches after I got into the woods and found I couldn't see the rear sight at all in the shadowy forest, nada. I went back to the shop and cleaned the gun to put it back in the gun safe, what a letdown.

I thought about selling the gun because I can't shoot it but have been told by my eye doctor I am a year or so out from cataract surgery, this may solve my problem. I don't want to cut another dovetail in the barrel to move the sight.

I love the rifle.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Dang old eyes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
 I feel your pain as Bill used to say. No way I could shoot an open sight gun this fall. I have somehow come up with allergies this year that have effected only  my eyes, My vision can go from pretty blurry to so-so from day to day. On the gun I finished up there were some days things were so blurry that even my optivisor didn't help. I quit and went in the house on those days. Got some eye drops from the Doc, getting some small relief. Lucky for me I don't have to see that well to fish, the squirrels get a reprieve this year.... It's odd how we take all this stuff for granted in our youth.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
I am in the same boat. I use this now.

https://eyepalusa.com/

It's like having an 18 year olds eyes. For pistol, it gets in your field of view when not shooting. But, for rifle I can put it on and go about my business and it is not in the way. Cheap, simple, works as well as they claim it does.

DAve

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Eric, I had my cataract surgery about 4 years ago.  The surgeon was also a shooter, so the new lense in the right eye gives 15-20 vision, while the left is at 20-20.  I can pick out the mortar between bricks at about 150 yards now !

So, just to help you out a bit, you can send that beautiful rifle to me, and I will take care of it until after your cataract surgery.

My vision from age 9 to 70 was 20/400, and I was amazed immediately after the surgery to see the second hand on a clock about 30 feet away!  Vision at more than 30 " is really sharp, but I must wear reading glasses when working on rifles or reading a good book.  Good luck with your surgery!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
There are so many of us with these vision problems me included. Last July my potassium level spiked to 7.5 and I went blind for a short time along with close call with the heart. Doc says potassium level should be 2.0 or less so I got lucky but the eyes arnt what they used to be. Its hard to see the bulls eye now so thats why I love to hunt Bears, theres more black, :D

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
Eric, I had the same problem. I had cataract surgery 9 years ago. My results are the same as Craig Wilcox's.
Four other people I know had it done and had the same results.

Gook luck,
Ken

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »
I had cataract surgery a few years ago.  Left eye is still sharp and the right  (dominant) eye was excellent for a couple of years.  Then the dominant eye started getting bad again.  I have an eye appt. coming up in a few days and will learn more.  Last time i had an exam the right eye was 20/35 (probably worse now).  Sight is fuzzy from that eye and shooting is a real chore.  I hope glasses - used them prior to cataract surgery and was able to ditch them after - will help.  Truth is a peep, or other trick sight is likely in my future.  Daryl's "express" sight recommendation might also work; I refuse to put a scope on a longrifle!  I need readers to read & see up close and use them for shooting and they do help.  Add to that a flock of floaters...aaarrgghh...
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline coupe

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 02:23:02 AM »
I also have glasses and the iron sights were thought to be a non starter. I made my own eye peep, I used a piece of leather punched with the smallest punch on a multipunch pliar, the clip is shortened and curled ends finish the horse shoe that the leather is glued to. Clipped onto my glasses the peep fits tight to the lens the coating protects the lens, then positioned where needed for shooting. I did this before I laid out good money on something that might not be good for me, worked so well I just kept it and use it to this day. My sights are at a 27" distance and the rear about 4" ahead of the hammer. Still can see the front, rear and the target nicely. I use the RMC OXYOKE v-peep sight check it out, lets you see the target as well as the sights. Most peeps block the target at the top, unless you have a ghost ring, never liked those.
coupe

Offline recurve

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »

Try one of these  &  :o only look at the front sight

Offline recurve

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 04:46:05 AM »

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 05:21:05 AM »
@recurve did you make that? Or are they available somewhere?

Offline recurve

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:59 AM »
That's a Lowell Haarer   ghost ring
www.lowellhaarer.com
Helped my 60+ eyes shoot this group at 50yrds

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
How big is that aperture? I will go out to the shop and make me a similar sight to try this afternoon, it just might work for me.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
That's a Lowell Haarer   ghost ring
www.lowellhaarer.com
Helped my 60+ eyes shoot this group at 50yrds

Thank you. Is the metal soft enough to be bent to adjust for elevation?

Offline hudson

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
Designed and manufactures by a shooter at Friendship. I don’t know how it would work in the squirrel woods but works well otherwise. https://www.ebay.com/c/715232000

Offline recurve

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 04:19:04 PM »
never measured the hole, and yes Lowell said to adjust whack it with a small hammer

Offline Mick C

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
Cataract surgery on both eyes and corrective lenses permanently inserted did it for me.  Up until the surgeries, about 4 years ago, I had been wearing glasses since I was 12 years old. Can see 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  Quick and painless.  Best thing I ever did. 
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 06:24:35 AM »
Eric, you can get a second opinion on when you are eligible for cataract procedure.  I had first done by an older now retired ophthalmologist but he said the other wasn’t ready.  Second opinion w younger ophthalmologist said the new guidelines allowed if the cataracts interferes with your lifestyle.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 01:38:12 AM »
The front sight on my Kibler SMR was too small for me to see.  I replaced it with one that is 0.12" wide.  I widened the rear sight notch to match.

After a certain  age you can not move the rear sight forward enough.  It should never be in focus anyway, it is impossible.  Actually I have been mounting rear sights closer to the minimum 6" as allowed by NMLRA and making a thinner notch. 

The NMLRA rules require open sights.  Those Merit  disk devices are fine but expensive and not versatile.  I shoot rifles and pistols.  Pistols require a different head orientation for one and two handed shooting.  All types of shooting require a different aperture location on your glasses.  So, after much fussing around I came up with a solution.

I made a strip of electrical  tape with multiple holes melted in it using a hot pin.  I stuck it on an old pair of prescription glasses.  The top of the lens is for infinite distance focus.  The pin holes give excellent focus on the sights and the target at once.  One pair of glasses works for all open sight shooting.   Best of all it was free.   

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:41:41 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »
I feel your pain as Bill used to say. No way I could shoot an open sight gun this fall. I have somehow come up with allergies this year that have effected only  my eyes, My vision can go from pretty blurry to so-so from day to day. On the gun I finished up there were some days things were so blurry that even my optivisor didn't help. I quit and went in the house on those days. Got some eye drops from the Doc, getting some small relief. Lucky for me I don't have to see that well to fish, the squirrels get a reprieve this year.... It's odd how we take all this stuff for granted in our youth.

Mike, I'm having the same problem. Most days when I get up my eyes are watering so bad I can't see and I am constantly wiping them dry. I flush them several times with cold water and that seems to help. As do eye drops. Now that deer season is here I'm real grateful that I decided to add rear peeps to my rifles. When it would be impossible to use iron sights it is less impossible with the peep.
I was  suppose to go for an eye exam before the season started but things got in the way of that. I hope that when I do go he will give something to help stop the watering.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
I've had cataract surgery and will likely go back to glasses again; but that will help only a little.  There's a blind spot on the retina of my dominant eye; and it's right in the center where I have to focus to see the front sight.  I may have to go back to shooting by sense of smell.  ::)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
I think I,m shooting by sense of smell now cause my shooting really stinks.  ::)  :)

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 12:42:22 AM »
🤣🤣

I may have to go back to shooting by sense of smell.

🤣😂🤣😂
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
  If you are a candidate for it, go get checked Lasik is the way to go. I went from progressive lenses 18 years ago to no glasses 10 days or so after the surgery and am still without glasses today. Although I do use an Opti-visor on occasion depending on the work.

Tim 

Offline recurve

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
Had  Lasik 20 yrs ago and Doc said I would need reading glasses by 55 he was right  :o