Author Topic: Knives in the time of american long rifles  (Read 5055 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Knives in the time of american long rifles
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
A good book, but not worth the going price today. Much like the similar book by Madison Grant, although Minnis is more realistic with dating. A good book, but honestly, you are not missing much by not having it.

Offline jrb

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
the relic hunting sites on facebook show lots of both original 18th century English and French trade era knives, including brass fillagree handle ones. never actual information about them though. absolutely no finds of any Woodbury sort of home made blacksmith style yet, that I've seen shown.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
  You probably will not see any Woodbury styles. There is little evidence to show American smith made knives in the 18th c. were very popular. Also rodents love to chew up antlers, even when they are on blades, if left lying around camp. The trade knives were cheap and available all over. Wear one out, throw away, buy new one and start over. There were styles and specialty types for most anything you could need, and higher quality imported knives if you were willing to pay more. Good high carbon steel was available, but expensive. I'm sure some smiths on occasion made knives, but I doubt it was really common unless for something that was not easily found in typical trade goods. Just my thoughts on it.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
Wallace Gussler had a nice display of artifacts found around various site. Many of the relic knifes are what we would call butcher knifes now or scalpers. many were as others have said trade knifes. made by the French , English and even Spanish. Quite a nice collection. No pictures as I do not take pictures unless I ask first. Mr Gussler was quite busy and not often at his display. There were a good many display items on hand as well as for sale. Some really nice flint and percussion rifles and fowlers as well. All in all a really nice show. I was there Friday early.

bitterbeer

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 04:39:58 AM »
And as luck would have it, the Nov/Dec 2019 issue of "Muzzleloader" has a nice article on "Fur Trade Blades".