Author Topic: Rifle building class  (Read 9481 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Rifle building class
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »
I have updated the shop with a new AC system, a new lay in insulated ceiling and new LED lighting. My October class is in full swing and the students have given their stamp of approval on the updates I have made. Several of the students have returned to finish projects that they started in earlier classes.

Paul McDonald aka Rabid Beaver Paul is doing a North Carolina rifle in walnut from a blank.

Bob McDonal aka Burnt finger Bob is finishing up a carved Lancaster rifle.

Lou Formby aka Ginder Lou is finishing up a iron Virginia style rifle.

Cid Collins aka Coffee Man Cid is finishing up a German silver mounted Lancaster styled rifle.

Here are a few pictures of the guys and their projects.

Scotty Roderick aka The Scotty is the new student in the class and fits right in with all the guys. He has started a brass mounted Virginia styled rifle.

Scotty was only able to stay for 3 days of the 5 day class. He did very well this being his first time to build a rifle. He inlet the breech tang of the barrel, cut the dove tails and installed the barrel lugs, cut the lock mortise and inlet the lock, inlet the triggers and installed the butt plate and drilled the barrel pins. Not to bad for his first 3 days.

It has been a great class so far and I am looking forward to posting pictures of the projects on Friday. 3 should be finished and in shooting order if all goes well.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Rifle building class
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »
Jim,
I like the new drop ceiling and lights.    I was just curious, how big is your shop?  One more question, are those island type benches permanently attached to your perimeter benches or do you attach them just for classes and then remove them?  Nice setup.
David

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
 ;) ;) ;).... Most fortunate group of fellows,... !!! ... a good thing to have such good instruction,... Hope to participate myself one day,.... Well Done,... !!! ... CCF...

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Dave, the island bench is a permanent bench and is my main work bench. I have found it is very beneficial to be able to work from both sides of the bench, especially when engraving. The new LED lights are a great addition to the shop I think, but maybe not, now I can see all of my mistakes. ::)

I got so hot down here in Alabama this summer I had to update my AC system. My shop is 30'x40' prefabbed metal building and it is insulated, but many days this summer it got well over a hundred degrees in the shop. It is tough to work when your sweating in your drawers. :o

Dana, man you would fit right in with this group of guys. You would be welcome anytime.
Jim Parker

smokepole45cal

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
I saw your OP was 6:38am . I am going to need a lot of coffee to get me motivated that early in March!

Jason

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 07:50:21 PM »
I am going to need a lot of coffee to get me motivated that early in March!

As I recall, there was always plenty of coffee. I had hoped to be up there for another class by this time. Maybe next time. For anyone considering this, it is well worth the time and money. Definitely a great way to spend 5 days learning and getting a lot done on your project.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
Thanks Jim.
I really enjoy pic’s like this. Looks like great fun. And I like your shop. 30x40... a shop with room.

Jason, I found the coffee. Second pic up from the bottom, upper right. ;D ;D ;D

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
Jason that was 6:30 your time, 5:30 my time (central time zone), no self respecting rifle builder would sleep until 6:30 am in the morning. ::) ;D I always get up early because most of the guys stay at my house for the class and I cook breakfast which helps get the day started right.

RJD-VT, when I built the shop I thought there would be no way I would fill up a 30x40 shop, well I was wrong. I wish that I had built a 40x60 now or even a 60x80. When I built this shop, giving classes was not in the plan. Now I find that I enjoy teaching rifle building and that there is a need for teaching the classes. Squeezing 5 work stations into my space along with a metal lathe that I have added to the shop, things are starting to get a little crowed.

Here is a picture of the lathe.

Jim Parker

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
Jim,
Thanks for another great week! I learn something new every time. Usually by making a new mistake!

You’ll have to post pictures of Sid’s, Lou’s, and dad’s finished rifles. I forgot to get any “after” photos. You can be rightfully proud of your misfit bunch of apprentices!

Thanks again. Until next class....

Paul

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 07:06:07 PM »
Very cool.