Author Topic: .30 cal round ball mold  (Read 5850 times)

Anonymous

Re: .30 cal round ball mold
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:48 AM »
The buckshot listed in that side is hardened, thus very much less than ideal.
I found in my .32, it was difficult loading Hornady's .320 buckshot, yet my cast
balls of .320" loaded easily. Yes- they were bore size and I loaded them with
a .022" denim or .023" ticking patch.
I have used the Ballistic Products 1-1/2 buckshot (.310”) in a 32 Pedersoli and don’t find them that hard or difficult to load. I’m only using a 12 grain fff powder charge, and use a wad under a wet patched ball. Just not enough powder, at least to my opinion, to put the wet patch directly on the powder. Find inconsistencies if the i let that wet patch and ball combo sit too long on the powder.

I've never had any problems using Hornady "0" buckshot in any of my 32s....two flint long rifles and three target pistols. Starting the ball hasn't presented any problems and once started the ball has gone down fine. Accuracy is good as well. The problem I see is the amount you would have to order with a possibility it didn't work for you. I wonder if you could call Ballistic Products for some samples to try out before you shell out for that big bottle?
Would think that 0 buckshot at .320” would be tight in a 32 cal, but if it works, great.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »
Yes- due to being harder than pure lead, they were hard to load.
Not so, with the .320" pure lead balls with patches from .022" to .0235" thick.
Those were easy loading & a short starter wasn't needed, although I use one
for consistency.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline awol

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »
Wade Patton, I got the lead and the mould pretty hot, but it didn't help much.

Smokinbuck's suggestion of a cut-off plate being added to the Tanner mould is a good one. My mould is working pretty good now and I'll likely leave it as I modified it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:58 AM »
Wade Patton, I got the lead and the mould pretty hot, but it didn't help much.

Smokinbuck's suggestion of a cut-off plate being added to the Tanner mould is a good one. My mould is working pretty good now and I'll likely leave it as I modified it.

Thanks. Well I might do that mod in the future.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
I have a tanner .287 mold I use in a .29 half stock. It casts a good ball that performs well in my old half stock. I still win events with it at a meat shoot.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
I have a tanner .287 mold I use in a .29 half stock. It casts a good ball that performs well in my old half stock. I still win events with it at a meat shoot.

Have you modified the mould or have any casting issues as above?  thanks
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 09:37:19 PM »
Not really
Once in a while the lead solidified in the narrow spruce channel before it fills out the ball. With the narrow lead channel, when the spruce is cut there is little above the ball. Once I weighed the ball i cast but the difference was so small as to be irreverent.