Author Topic: Flintlock Doe  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Flintlock Doe
« on: October 26, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »
I took this doe Thursday morning at 9 AM. She was right at 75 yards away in the still dark woods and I made a bad shot. No way else to say it. The blood trail was sparse but I stuck with it and finally recovered the deer.
I built this .54 caliber rifle 20 years ago. Colraine .54 cal. C profile swamped barrel, Chambers large Siler lock and single trigger. You can't tell it from the pictures but she's beginning to show her age. Maybe next year she'll get a refinish so I can get rid of some more wood and a few other things.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline sqrldog

Re: Flintlock Doe
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
Thanks for the picture. She'll make some fine eating. Does in general make better table fare. After all you can't eat antlers.

Shane A Gress

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
I did the same thing last Saturday. Took my Bedford Rifle out and hit a doe a couple inches left. Missed the vitals but broke left leg and the ball in the rib cage and back through the belly somewhere. Went about 70 yards and gave up. I made 30 lbs. of bologna this week. Never was much of a trophy hunter,  young does are delicious.   

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 03:28:16 PM »
Some fine eats there Darkhorse. Just my opinion but Id leave that fine rifle just the way it is. Thats memories you would be retouching. That rifle has EARNED all of them ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. Do your best, follow up, find deer, good eating! Congrats!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Big CONGRATS on the doe!
That rifle is beautiful just the way it is, and you will treasure it all the more as the years pass.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:26:29 AM »
That's a fine looking rifle IMHO.  Kudos on the doe!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Heyboy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 05:04:25 AM »
Nice job. I’ve been working and have a brand new baby boy so haven’t got to do much hunting. Did take a couple squirrels with my .36 last night though.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
Some fine eats there Darkhorse. Just my opinion but Id leave that fine rifle just the way it is. Thats memories you would be retouching. That rifle has EARNED all of them ;D

Wattlebuster, your right of course. In 20 years I have accumulated a lot of memories with that rifle. I hunt with it 95% of  the time I hunt deer, some years it's all I hunt with. Me and that rifle have taken a lot of falls in that time. Some years back I had intended to refinish it and fix a few things such as too much wood left here and there and reshaping the forend. I also wanted to add some line moldings. But a few years ago I noticed some wear in a few places and the browning on the barrel was wore down to bare metal from my hands.
I see it as the beginning of real patina and I have spent a lot of time thinking about the process of patina starting with a new rifle and how it gets to the stage we see in the originals. And even then the process hasn't ended. It just goes on from there.
I had to learn to hunt different. Not only do I scout for deer but I also scout for spots where I can get shots close enough to humanely harvest deer or hogs. It's been with me through the thin years and the bountiful years. And I guess we have become a deadly team at this flintlock hunting game.
So let's see what the season brings and thanks to all for your kind comments.
Darkhorse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the picture. She'll make some fine eating. Does in general make better table fare. After all you can't eat antlers.
DITTO!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline acorn20

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 02:39:48 AM »
Congrats on your doe!!
Dan Akers

Tizzy

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:38:03 AM »
Congrats on the doe! Even more congrats for sticking with it until you recovered her! Anyone that hunts eventually will make a shot they wish they didnt...especially those that hunt with archery equipment. That is a fine looking rifle...she has been true to you all these years...my suggestion is to just rub some linspeed on the stock and leave her alone...too many love marks have been earned by her over the years to take them away by removing wood. Just my thoughts.

Offline wolf

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
the only thing that flintlock needs is for the lock to be put on the "right" side.  ;D nice doe,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 02:11:59 AM »
Way to go on the doe fine eating right there. Nice looking rifle also
Chad

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
Good job and thanks for sticking with it and finding the deer. I also think your gun looks fine.  :)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
  Congrats...also good job on finding her. A lot of people would have given up..!   Oldtravler

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:11 AM »
If anybody remembers I have a knee and hip replacement. The new knee works good, the new hip not nearly so. And just recently my Dr. said the other knee is bone on bone and it needs replacing now too. I won't go into my other maladies now but I decided not to share the travail I experienced getting that big doe out of the woods by myself.
But as for tracking her down, I fully believe blood trailing, even when there is no longer a blood trail to be a learned art of the highest order. It's been many years since I believed blood trails just stopped suddenly except in cases where a marginal hit was proven. Most of the time it simply means the game has changed direction while we the hunter continues to plunge blindly in a direction we have determined to be correct. A couple of "Keys" here is being able to recognize when it's time to turn back to last blood and being able to work out the sign until you find the correct direction the game is traveling. And of course reading the forest floor has value without question.
My wife is a high percentage Cherokee and had the sharpest eyes for finding small blood spots of anybody I've ever known. During my bow hunting years my impatience often showed and I'd get her to help. I only remember 2 we failed to find and we had trailed several miles, across several property lines, before giving up. Alas her sight is much dimmer now and she no longer can traverse the woods as she once did.
But the main thing I allowed her to teach me was to "never give up while there was one spot of blood to be found."

Offline msellers

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 09:10:56 AM »
A trick I picked up from an old bow hunter is to take one of the cheap pump spray bottles from the dollar store. Fill it with hydrogen peroxide, make a tight case for it from pvc pupe and caps. One glued on, the other just friction fit. Then if you question if a drip is blood in the failing light, give it a spray of the peroxide.  If it is blood, it will foam up and leave little.doubt in your mind. Helps in tall grass or closed cover where light is mediocre, or drops get dispersed and hidden when the trail gets weak.
Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 02:45:26 AM »
Well done, Darkhorse. Any big game animal with a smokepole is a trophy. Does are good eating.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 04:34:05 AM »
Kudos for following up on the bad shot and finding your deer.  Hope your next knee surgery goes well for you.