Author Topic: going to try swiss 2f powder in y 54 cal/1-66 barrel  (Read 5462 times)

Offline sonny

going to try swiss 2f powder in y 54 cal/1-66 barrel
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:11:39 AM »
say...anybody using swiss 2f powder in there 54's?more accurate/faster then goex??................thanks.sonny

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: going to try swiss 2f powder in y 54 cal/1-66 barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »
say...anybody using swiss 2f powder in there 54's?more accurate/faster then goex??................thanks.sonny

Tomorrow I'm taking the Walnut Lancaster from Chambers out to shoot.  It's not done, but I'll try it anyway.  I have only Swiss with me - 3fg, 2fg. and 1.5 fg.  I may not get them all tried.  Rice 44", 1 turn in 66, round bottom rifling.

Steve Chapman is going with me.  We may not get too serious.  I'd like to get windage right at least.  I have some Goex that I can do comparisons with, but probably not tomorrow.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »
I have only Swiss with me - 3fg, 2fg. and 1.5 fg.
Swiss 1.5fg is what I was using in my smoothbore last year during the woodswalk, when I had all the problems.  Switching to Swiss 3fg resulted in nary a klatch.

As far as accuracy and velocity, I am convinced that you can come up with an accurate load in any roundball gun using any powder, and if you are killing targets, velocity isn't paramount.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
I have only Swiss with me - 3fg, 2fg. and 1.5 fg.
Swiss 1.5fg is what I was using in my smoothbore last year during the woodswalk, when I had all the problems.  Switching to Swiss 3fg resulted in nary a klatch.

As far as accuracy and velocity, I am convinced that you can come up with an accurate load in any roundball gun using any powder, and if you are killing targets, velocity isn't paramount.

I agree wholeheartedly, TOF - I generally work up accuracy loads for both 3F and 2F for every gun I have that will shoot 3F.  When I find them, I also find they shoot the same point of impact.as the normal powder for that gun.  This way, no matter waht powder I can get my hands on, I can shoot accurately - or as accurately as I am able to shoot :D.

chapmans

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
  I have used Swiss ffg in everything for the last 3 or 4 years and have had no ignition problems from a .40 cal flint to a .58, I wouldn't use ffg goex in my .40 flinter unless I opened up the liner, it's only about .062" right now. The granulation of ffg Swiss appears smaller to me than ffg Goex, I haven't tried 1 1/2 Swiss although I do have about a 1/2 a pound of it.
   Steve C.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »
There isn't anyone up here who doesn't shoot 2FGOEX in their .54's. Most use 2F GOEX as well in their .50's and I use it, GOEX 2F in both .40 and .45 as well.
With 2F - you need more to get the same velocity - yet with 75gr. 2F in my .58's 24" barrel, I get 1,300fps average - considerably higher than given for GOX in the old Lyman book - equivalent to 115gr. of their powder. I also use it in the .69 - no mystery there.

What I find with 2f in the smaller bores - identical accuracy and no more fouling as my rifles' don't build up fouling at all - that is the product of the ball and patch combinations I use - and perhaps, the amount of lube has an effect here as well.

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
daryl...........yes but do you shoot 2f swiss?is it noticable quicker then 2f goex or same speed of ignition?.sonny

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »
2F being slower than 3F - no matter the make. If one shoots 3f, 2F will also work, right down to a .36.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:39:50 AM »
2F being slower than 3F - no matter the make.
Slower burning, but not necessarily slower velocity.  In some guns 2f will have a higher velocity than 3f.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »
TOF - you may have a point about some barrels, the slower powder giving higher speeds - Forsyth thought so as well, but of course, he was talking about large bores as well as the Minnie-firing rifles of the day. 

In my own 14 bore, 3 drams of 3f gives higher speed than does 3 drams of 2f and equal to 4 drams of the slower stuff, however I cannot increase the 3f very much more before gas  leaking problems surface, however with 2f, no such sealing problems 'ever' happen - to the limit of this human's recoil endurance.  That part I find interesting.

The old rules of thumb still preside, I think - the longer the barrel, the slower the powder - yet the Musketoon does very well at 1,300fps with a mere 2 3/4 drams(75gr.) 2F in it's stubby 24" bl.  Today, GOEX appears, in this gun at least, to give 200fps higher velocity than the GOX of Lyman's book time and is way ahead of the C&H we used back in the 70's.