Author Topic: Squirrels with a Longrifle.  (Read 3126 times)

Heyboy

Squirrels with a Longrifle.
« on: October 27, 2019, 05:07:37 AM »
Got out last night and took a couple of bushy tails with my .36 flinter last night. What a blast!

Offline alacran

Re: Squirrels with a Longrifle.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
Skwerl hunting is by far my favorite type of hunting. A flintlock puts icing on the cake.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
I used to get out several times a week with a flint .32 when I was in my 20's. Now I'm lucky if I get out a couple times a year. Sure is fun though, I did some of my best shooting in my life back then, very satisfying as you well know. No better way to spend your time.....except maybe fishin! :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Nothing like hunting squirrels with a flintlock.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
Our season opened the first of September.  I have been going out at least once a week with my .32 NC flint rifle.  Once the leaves started falling my success rate went up.  I got 3 on my last outing, but missed 2 at close range (10 yards).   I think I shot right over the top of them. Been squirrel hunting ever since I was old enough (and permitted) to carry a
 rifle.  Over the last 40 years I have hunted squirrels with rifles,  hand guns, percussion muzzle loaders and flint muzzle loaders.  By far the most enjoyment and satisfaction I get is with the flint locks, but that may be due to age.  When younger it was all about quantity, now it is more about the quality of the hunt.  Taking one squirrel for a day of hunting is OK with me now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 03:01:35 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline flinter49

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
Just finished a 2 car garage because of those pesty sguirrels. Seems they can't leave the wiring alone on my vehicles. Shot 5 greys in less than a hour one morning. I live in the country next to a woods and the squirrels are thick. Around here I am the only one I know of that hunts them. So a my 32 flintlock and a 25 yard walk I'm in paradise. I call self defense.

Heyboy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
Same at my place. My wife and I just bought the family farm and it’s 5 yards out the back door to the woods ( hemlock, shagbark, oak and beech) my brothers and I thinned them out 25 years ago but they’ve been left alone all these years and they’re starting to encroach a little. I need some recipes so my wife will eat them. She loves all game, she even likes the flavor of squirrels, just not the texture.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
Pressure cook your squirrels for 12 minutes at 15 pounds pressure then fry them, they will be fall apart tender. I often make gravy after frying them and simmer them for a while, some of the best wild game out there.

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
Got out last night and took a couple of bushy tails with my .36 flinter last night. What a blast!

That AB Conley rifle is driving me nuts! Nice!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
I guess I've hunted squirrels with just about everything that goes bang.  Doing it with a muzzleloader, especially a flintlock, is the most fun anyone can have, without actually disrobing.  I've taken them with a .32 and a .36 and really like hunting them with my .36.  Eye problems are the main reason I rarely hunt them nowadays.  I used to almost live in the woods when I was younger.  Gotta buck up and get out there again, I suppose.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
When the eyes go bad and the knees hurt , the ego takes a hit. Fight the little rascals with a smoothbore and some 6s, they will regain respect.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline mushka

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
I boil them til the meat comes off the bones readily.  Take the meat off the bones and re introduce it back into the boiling liquid, some salt or other condiment you like, then add the bisquik box recipe globs to the boiling liquid and you have squirrel and dumlins.  Good stuff and easy.  Takes at least three squirrels.

Offline Levy

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
Squirrel hunting is my favorite enterprise too.  I just got back from a week long camping trip on the Ochlocknee River for squirrels with a muzzleloader.  We had five different families in attendance.  Most shot either flintlock or percussion squirrel rifles (no modern guns).  A 10 year old young lady shot her first squirrel with a light 28 gauge.  A 11 year old boy shot his first wild pig after a stalk.  One of the adults shot 2 pigs, one of which he had to take from a pack of dogs.  I think we harvested 32-35 squirrels during the week and removed a large (4') rattlesnake to the other side of the river for safe keeping.  The squirrel population was down, but the ones that were there, were very fat.  Hurricanes and a loss of mast trees in the river bottom definitely had an effect on them.  Lately, I've been shooting a George B. Mather percussion combination gun (.38/16 ga).  It has very good bores and I like the shotgun side when the light goes in the afternoon.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:48:10 PM »
This has been posted before.  The .36 is my favorite squirrel rifle; I've taken more of them with a .32 but that was then and this is now.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.