Author Topic: where can i find woodchuck tanned skin?  (Read 7951 times)

Offline sonny

where can i find woodchuck tanned skin?
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:20:24 AM »
can anybody tell me if they know of somebody selling tanned woodchuck skins?.........thinking about a woodchuck hunting bag,thanks..........sonny

Ky Ken

Re: where can i find woodchuck tanned skin?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
Try Moscow Hide and Fur on line.     Ken

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:49:58 AM »
I don't know about wood chuck hides but Curt Lyle had somebark tanned squirrel hides for sale.  He said about 3 of them would make a nice bag.
DMR

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:56 PM »
If you can get it, you can bet it will wear like iron.  Chuck skin is tough.  I lashed an iron lance head to an ash haft when I was a boy, and used it hard, and it is just as tight as it was then.  Strong stuff!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
Sonny, Just pack up your ML, and go out and harvest one.  :) Like Taylor said, It is some tough stuff, as raw hide or tanned. Tanned it makes some of the toughest, longest lasting lashing material, like boot laces, you will find. Plus, if fixed properly, Its very good table fare. Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:27:52 AM »
 Don't get much call for them from trappers. Are woodchucks and marmots the same thing?

Lord Calvin

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »
  They make banjo's with woodchuck don't they?  "Skin that one pilgrim, and l'll get ya another !!!"    ha ha !!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »
If you can get it, you can bet it will wear like iron.  Chuck skin is tough.  I lashed an iron lance head to an ash haft when I was a boy, and used it hard, and it is just as tight as it was then.  Strong stuff!

I can picture this now- young Taylor with a spear.  I wonder what Momma was thinking she had borne!

I slew a chuck a month or two ago while gathering flint.  First one I ever took with a rock.  I skinned it on the spot (yes, used a sharp piece of flint) and the hide is in the freezer now.  I plan to use it as rawhide to make a bowstring.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:00:10 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
My mom, dad, Gramma, aunts uncles and cousins were quite used to Daryl and I goin' Indian.  I can remember the winter the year I turned seven, as I could hardly wait for the snow to go so I could go and look for rocks that looked like arrow heads.  Not much has changed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
A buddy and I decided to try our hand at tanning a hide when we were younger and more ambitious.  Instead of jumping right in with a deer hide we thought a groundhog hide was more our size to start out.  We both removed the hair with an ash solution.  He wanted a chrome tan and was going to use some kind of acid.  I wanted a bark tan and boiled walnut hulls on advice from my grandfather.  I don't know what type of acid Keith used but it ended up eating his hide.  Mine turned out a nice, rich medium brown color.  After rinsing the hide several times, I stretched and tacked it to dry.  After drying I lightly dampened the hide and applied neats foot oil and proceeded to "break" the hide over a rounded board that I had secured in a vise.  That's when the work begins.  That hide became pliable and I made a wallet out of that skin.  The color stayed fast in the leather until the wallet wore out. You would only need a couple of nice sized skins to make a bag.
Dan
Dan Akers

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
If you skin them cased (peel skin off like a sock) you could make a bag from one fat old chuck.  I never skinned one cased starting at the head but that would be the ticket, with the head as the flap.
Andover, Vermont

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:57 PM »
I tanned a biggun once w/hair on, and made a neat hat out of it with the little tail hanging out the back and a leather brim. My buddy "Flopping Trout" still wears it in cold weather!

Hey Lord Calvin...BOTW Rendesvous is this weekend up near Sanford. You going?
Tom C.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
Sonny,

You should have been here.  Not more than 10 minutes ago I chased a big old boar groundhog out of my back yard while mowing the lawn.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Bob F

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 06:00:34 AM »
My son got one this evening with his bow at about 30 yards.  Big fat old chuck!  He's gonna skin it in the morning when he can see better.  I'm sure if anyone tells him how to cure the hide, he'll let you have it.

omark

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:25:33 AM »
Don't get much call for them from trappers. Are woodchucks and marmots the same thing?

leatherbelly, i think they are the same or at least first cousins. around here we call 'em whistle pigs or rock chucks.     we have more rocks and less trees.            mark   ;D

chapmans

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
  My son and I have killed 4 in the last week in the back yard, a big old sow and 3 half grown ones. I grew up killing them for the farmers in the neighborhood, they paid $1 apiece. Once I started to clean one because my Grandmother would cook any animal I would clean and bring to her, but it was a hot day and the odor was such that I just threw it to the hogs and never gave a thought to eating one after that. I worked with a fellow that wanted a young one and told me if I got one he would clean it and cook it so I got a young one with a CF headshot and took it to him, the next day he said what in the heck did you shoot that with ? it was bloodshot all the way to the hips. 6MM Rem.
  Steve C.

Offline sonny

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:43 AM »
thanks bob..sonny

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
I have a few here with some scraggly hair on that I hand bark tanned about 8 years ago. Nice leather, very strong I love that knarly hank of hair now & then. Would need probably two for a bag. Been hanging on to them for my own projects. Got a good crop of the suckers growing under and about my patio this year ( probably why I have so many ticks  & Lyme near my house!

If you want the raw skins I can harvest a good crop. If you don't want to go the "long" Bark tan route you can get the Tanning oil they sell at Tandys which does a nice and rather quick job on the thin skins. I did a bunch like that back in the 90's and the held up very well

Or I guess I will be humane and start trapping the buggers & let them go the other side of the mountain
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."