Author Topic: Projects for a young lady  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Projects for a young lady
« on: October 29, 2019, 05:11:26 PM »
My 8 year old daughter has become very fond of going to friendship and getting gussied up in her primitive dress and what not. I made a feather hair tie for her to wear to Ft. vallonia Days recently and for Halloween. Then I went out and got her own beads and stuff so she will stay out of mine 😁 and showed her how to do it herself. Problem is, I know what we've done so far probably isn't period correct and there isn't a whole lot of detailed info on the web for what I woukd trust to be historically accurate instruction for making this kind of stuff. Even detailed pics of the small round roaches that eastern tribes wore and would be easy (maybe) to make are hard to find. All that being said, I'm looking for things she could do herself and still be PC and all. She likes the idea of making and selling things at events, and I hope she can find a niche of her own to keep her going with ol' dad to events in years to come. Anyone here raise daughters that did traditional crafts? Anyone making hair ornaments, simple jewelry, etc, that goes along with the hobby?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:38:23 PM by Clear Spring Armory »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Projects for a young lady
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
When I was a boy, I bought a book from Tandy Leather by Ben Hunt - Indian Crafts and Lore.  I used it for the inspiration to create a myriad of articles, some of which I still possess.  Eventually I raised two daughters who are now adults, and took them as children to all of the shoots and rendezvous I attended.  They spent their summers in our tipi, and enjoyed making many of the small items they thought they needed for this adventure.

You are traveling a special path, and I commend you for it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
Daughters are special, young ladies at rendezvous are very special, dads that help let them be special are the best.
Good job.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
I would get her a tape loom and she could  make women's ties and powder horn straps out of hemp or linen of course . Tape looms were quite common  for making all sorts of things we now use duck tape and string for. She could also learn to do lucent string. Both are inexpensive to get into.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 01:28:11 AM »
Finger weaving and twining are also options, though it takes a lot of work that she may find tedious before getting anything.

Monica Moore has a nice book on twining bags (website down right now).

I just got a copy of Fingerweaving Basics by Gerald Findley published by Crazy Crow, and while I haven't had a chance to try anything out yet he appears to be pretty clear and comprehensive - you could weave just about anything from a simple strap to an exact copy of the Benjamin West bag with the techniques he illustrates.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:36 AM »
I think a good father-daughter project would be to make a simple Inkle loom together. They are so simple to operate she would pick it right up, and straps, garters, belts, sashes, etc. can be made fairly rapidly. If she shows interest, weaving can go as far as she wants to take it!

I’m even thinking of making my adult daughters a loom for Christmas this year.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
I have two boys, both are now grown and have family's of their own. They were raised at the gun range doing primitive camping and going to rendezvous. If I could relive one day in my life it would be with those two guys at one of our ML shoots surrounded by all of our friends, lots of whom have passed away. There is nothing like choice family time, doing something that was such a big part of our lives. I couldn't imagine how C. S. Armory feels bringing up two daughters and just enjoying his family doing things that they like so well. Cherish your time because before long they will be grown and have families of their own.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
Cordage baskets are very easy. A bit primitive, but, doable for a child and useful when complete.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »
Sean,
I've got a couple of books that I'll give you......."Golden guide to North American Indians Arts" and "Nature Crafts."  Both have a variety of projects in her age group.  May have others as well.

Email me your address and I'll send them along.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »
Thanks guys. TOF, email sent

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »
Never received your email and I sent one from here to you.  Don't know if the forum's email function works.

Send me a personal email to  oldfoxtraders@aol.com using your regular email program.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
Sorry. I sent a "message" to you, as the last email I tried to send on here seemed like it got messed up bad. Let me try again.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »
I would suggest getting a Crazy Crow catalog and visiting their website.  They usually have some kits for such projects including some nice hair roach kits