Author Topic: Jeager slings  (Read 5653 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Jeager slings
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »
Where can I find documentation and photos showing the construction styles of early Jeager slings?
Thanks,
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Joey R

Re: Jeager slings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
T.C. Let me know what you find out and if or when you may create some Jaeger slings for I just received a Ron Scott Jaeger that I commissioned him to build for me and it's begging for a correct sling. Thanks, Joey.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:53 AM »
Let's see pics Joey!!!!  That Ron Scott fellow is so humble.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:57:49 AM »
Taylor, I've been so busy admirering the rifle that I am yet to take some pics. I'll have to learn how to post them so PLEASE have patience with this amateur.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:26:57 AM »
"sparky",  get a copy of "Steinschloss-Jagerbuchsen" (Jim Chambers has them) and on page 550 you'll see an awesomely beautiful jaeger made by Ron Scott equipped with a sling. Assume Ron either made the sling or commissioned it to be made, but my German language ability isn't good enough to figure it out-the book is written in German!

Tim: quickly looked through my copy of above book, and while many, many of the jagers pictured have sling swivels, no original slings are shown that I could see. On pages 497 and 541 there are a couple of photos showing a little, but not much is given to go on. (Will be in contact with you soon about the alligator tooth powder measurer.)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:30:50 AM »
tres bien mon ami...mercy bo-coup...or should I say "dunka-shean"...
TCA
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:32:32 AM by T.C.Albert »

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
In Regard to the sling on the rifle photo. I made that up almost a decade ago. It is likely a good aproximatiion but I'm wouldn't want to claim it is an accurate copy. I have an orignal  ca. 1740s,in the shop with and old leather sling. Like ramrods, it is hard to be certain if this is the original sling. I'll try to get around to getting a photo. I'm told that Lynton Mckenzies Paul Poser Jaeger had its original linen sling. That photo can  be seen on page 86 of The Great Guns by Harold Peterson and Robert Elsman. I'll see about getting that photo as well.  One source to consider for the linen strap is having it made by Wilde Weavery.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Maybe  nothing authentic here, but years ago I made several slings for jaeger rifles.  Back then my design for jaeger slings was just conjecture. I don't know that anyone back then really knew or cared what an actual jaeger sling looked like, but the ones the myself and others made were rather fancy.  I made them from brocade material backed with leather and with some fancy leather work.  There were several guys making slings for Jaegers back then and they also used brocade material backed with leather. I haven't made any such slings for several years. My personal Jaeger that I have carried for 20+ years has nothing but a simple heavy leather sling made from veg tanned leather.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:38:19 PM »
Wood and iron survive 200+ years pretty well.   Leather doesn't.  I've seen very few old rifle slings, and those in photos only.  They are just what you would think they would be: leather straps with a buckle.  One or two simple woven linen straps just sewn in place on the swivels.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

nthe10ring

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
I made several for John Bivens many years ago when he first started making Yaegers and several later on for the  rifles that he and Mike Eihnger and Bob Harn collaborated on for the Last of the Mohican movie. sadly the rifles were never used in the movie.
The first couple I made for him were all leather with deocorative finials and inlays . The ones I made for the movie guns were like the Paul Poser rifle. The strap was of linen dyed that pea green color with decorative leather finials. Not sure if I have any pics still but if I do will post them. Johh was pretty happy with all of them, so I guess they were OK.

Jerry Fisher

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks everyone...
Jerry, if you can find the photos, that would be great.
Im especially interested in how they attach to the swivels.
TCA

nthe10ring

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:01:11 AM »
TC
Looked hi and low and can't put my hands on the photos, been a long time ago and they were before digital. I had converted a lot over to digital but lost a ton of my images when I lost a computer to theft a few years ago.
The slings that I made the most were of linen with decorative leather finials and I sewed them directly  onto the swivels. There was no option for length adjustment. On one of the Yaegers slings the front was on a swivel and the other at the butt end was held with a large stud. I did make provisions for a small adjustment on that one with the addition of a couple of holes on a longer leather finial.
The finials were about 3 to 4 inches long and shaped somewhat like some of the fancy butt plate tangs you see. The option there is open to a myrid of designs.
While I have made a  lot of Yaeger bags over the past 30 years of so, and enjoy the opportunity to expand design opportunities on European style items , its been a while since I made slings.

Regards
Jerry Fisher