Author Topic: Opinions wanted on rifle from Franklin County, KY  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Opinions wanted on rifle from Franklin County, KY
« on: January 08, 2020, 05:58:36 AM »
A friend of mine owns this rifle.  The rifle belonged to his GG-Grandfather who lived in Franklin County, KY.  The barrel is 47-1/4" long and swamped, .945" at the breech, .865 at 12" from the breech, .835 at 24" from the breech, .830 at 36" and .870 at the muzzle.  The bore measures about .35".  No butt plate, toe plate or entry pipe, but has 2 very nicely applied (incised?) parallel lines along the ramrod groove and decoration on each side near the ramrod entry that look like they were stamped in with a gouge, but they are smooth to the touch.  Brass trigger guard, pipes and nosecap. 

Opinions on when the rifle was made, where and who might have made the rifle will be most welcome.  If other pictures are needed, please let me know. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:00:30 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online Stoner creek

Re: Opinions wanted on rifle from Franklin County, KY
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:16:54 PM »
That gun has some strong Lexington school attributes.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
I don’t know nothin’ about central Kentucky rifles, but I like this one.  Remarkable condition for its age, good lines, and a very interesting set of triggers. I’m assuming original percussion (the photo is a bit blurry but I don’t see a relief cut for a flintcock). Is the lock a replacement, or is the front lock nail just missing?  Can you bring it to Boonesboro for a closer look?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:16:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  It is in remarkable condition.  The lock was born as a caplock and seems to fit the mortise, but I'm puzzled there doesn't seem to be a hole in the nose of the lock plate to accept a lock bolt.  The owner asked me to make replacements for the missing screws and pins, so I will have it apart.  May learn more then.  I'll see if I can bring it to Boonesborough.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 01:24:34 AM »
This is a very nice example of a Lexington School rifle from an outlying county beyond Fayette Co. A close examination of the current percussion lock shows it is not the original lock...while fitting the mortise very well, you can see a slight gap under the current lock plate back near its tail. The gun was built as a late flintlock, probably ca. 1835 based on the butt's pointed toe. The "wavy" termination at the rear ramrod pipe somewhat mimics the terminations on Bryan and other rifles made in Fayette County. However, it shows a touch of artistic flair. Almost all Lexington School rifles with carving at the rear pipe (and elsewhere where the double line incised molding terminates) have a "smooth" wavy line with three "humps" in it, always cut with a half-round chisel. Here, the maker chose to run the tip of the chisel beyond where it was picked up by the next alternating cut, creating small "branches" or "tails" running out from the normal wavy line. I like the effect, adding small "branches" to the normal wavy line to spice it up.

Note the guard is rounded on the outer surface...if made in Fayette Co., it would probably have two flats on the outer surface...just another detail suggesting, while a Lexington rifle, it was made outside of Fayette Co. However, the rest of the guard is typical Lexington School, with its heavy, square-in-section, front post and bow with slight upward slope toward the front.

These unsigned and unadorned Lexington rifles are hard to attribute due to the many similarities among the region's rifles. However, while it may well have been made in Franklin County, a couple of details suggest it might have been built in Bourbon County. The side-facing is slightly longer at the rear, not the same width all the way around the lock plate. Also, the triggers with the square tab behind the front hair trigger, and the small teats at the bottom of each trigger, are similar to the work of Jake Clinkenbeard of Bourbon County. However, he used a more traditional cheekpiece, while yours is somewhat unique to the School. But the other details I mentioned suggest it could have been made in Bourbon Co. Or perhaps it is by a Franklin Co. maker whose signed work we haven't seen yet. A lot of these slightly later Lexington guns lack signatures, or initials, despite being good quality rifles. The lack of a rear pipe is somewhat odd for one of these rifles.

If possible, due to the several unique details on this Lexington School rifle, and its history in Kentucky, I  would enjoy getting pictures of it that could be used in an upcoming Vol. III of "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," if that might be possible. I can do a lot with photoshop, but would need the "standard" half-length shots and a full-length shot. Shelby Gallien

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:13:19 AM »
Ky-flinter,

That’s the same side plate that is on this old rifle found in Ashland, Ky when they closed a bank and moved a safe sometime in the 60’s.  An older fellow at my church let me take it home and snap some pictures.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:49:02 AM »
Shelby,

Thank you for the in-depth review.  I will speak with the owner and be in touch.  Thanks again.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
Thanks Mike,

I'll grant they are similar, but they have some differences too.  I think the main difference is the round part of the one you posted is much larger, but the base of the "tail" is more narrow.  Are those nails holding it in?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »
It sure looks like nails.  I've already given it back to its owner.  It seems like every original rifle I look at, I wish I would have take a couple dozen more pictures.  The more you learn, the more the smallest of things matter the most. 

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 02:55:17 AM »
Q.  Are the lock bolt escutcheon rings/washers, with tails, a KY feature, a southern feature, or just a builder's option/preference?

Reason I ask, is this 'parts gun' found in Savannah, GA, with a lock dated 1763, exhibits pieces of re-purposed brass for bolt escutcheons with that feature.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:54:52 AM »
The lock bolt washer with a hooked tail is not a detail specific to Kentucky, but rather is seen in a number of states. A round washer could turn when the bolt is being turned in or out, loosening/wearing its mortise. A lock bolt washer with any kind of tail, or protrusion, would be locked into place and not turn with the bolt, which was a preferred washer. Shelby Gallien