Author Topic: Federal Eagle carving  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Federal Eagle carving
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:48:44 PM »
Well, Morphy's just auctioned this off in Oct for $9225.

I got this one in an antique shop last month for SIGNIFICANTLY less.  If anyone wants to add
to my retirement plan, I'd take half that  ;D  Actually its not for sale so moderators please don't ask
me to post in the for sale section.  Just kidding around here.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Federal Eagle carving
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:49 AM »
I betcha Tim C knocks one of these out in a week. Actually I’m thinking of making one now. Gotta find a good board.
Andover, Vermont

Offline VP

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 03:32:17 AM »
I was surprised as you were as to the price. I was watching the auction and couldn't believe the price that it went for, way above my estimate.

VP

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:35:10 AM »
What are the dimensions?   

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 04:00:54 AM »
Round one was about 22 inches
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 04:49:21 AM »
“ Measures 38-1/4" x 17-1/8" x 3/4". This early and well carved Federal eagle is done in high relief on a stippled ground. The eagle has its wings spread displaying a patriotic shield on the center of its breast. The early style head clutches a banner in its beak. The eagle's right talon holds and olive branch while the left clutches three arrows. There are two relief foliate scrolls stemming from the bottom two corners. The plaque is mounted is a period figured maple frame. The back shows two hand carved wooden hanging mounts retained by handmade screws. CONDITION: Carving retains a great, dark surface with some age cracks and scattered marks. Frame very good retaining a pleasing orange surface. An impressive Federal patriotic plaque. PROVENANCE: Purchased from Jeffrey Tillou.”
Andover, Vermont

Online aaronc

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:59:46 AM »
I love a Federal Eagle,....them Tansel boys had it right.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Online aaronc

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 02:16:37 AM »
Here is a couple links to a somewhat famous Federal Eagle carver,..some of you guys may have heard of him. I ran into his story and work a few years ago on the net.

https://gardnerlibrary.org/encylopedia/wilhelm-schimmel-wood-carver-bad-temper

https://www.christies.com/features/Wilhelm-Schimmels-sculpture-of-an-American-eagle-7632-3.aspx
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »
I love them too.  Enjoyed the links.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:41 AM »
The round shield looks a lot like the one hanging on my wall.  These were pretty common 1970 era  in central America which is where mine came from.   I think I paid $20 for it. Picked it out of a stack of about a dozen in the market place of Messiah Nicaragua.   Lots of poor wood carvers trying to scratch out a few more dollars for their family.  I got a 4 ft tall cigar store indian for $50 in Peru.  The skill of many of the native carvers was very good.