Author Topic: Oerter rifle finally found!  (Read 4661 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Oerter rifle finally found!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:20:43 AM »
Just saw that!!! great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:53:30 AM »
Terrific!
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
Hi,
What a great place for it to be displayed.  The Museum of the American Revolution is excellent and their staff are great.  It is a place where if someone wants to know how a flintlock musket or rifle feels and works, staff members will go get one of several contemporary made guns on hand and show you.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 01:15:17 AM »
This is indeed great news. This rifle is one of the greatest treasures of the Rev War. Wish we knew something regarding its more recent whereabouts. I recall from a young age, this rifle was shown in one of the early gun collecting magazines printed on newsprint. Likewise I remember the news of its theft from Valley Forge Museum where it was on private loan at the time.
An interesting story here and can be told as the principals are no longer living. Walter O'Connor was well acquainted with this gun and he said that he was at the VF Museum looking at the displays. He noted that this gun was in an insecure showcase near an untended rear door. On his way out he pointed out to the rangers the potential for theft of the gun. They dismissed his comments and he left.
Some months later some people came in and while one detained the ranger with dumb questions, the rest headed for the back and stole a number of items including the Godwin rifle and disappeared out the rear door.
Walt's greatest fear was that the gun had been unwieldy and tossed into the nearby river. As we know it did disappear. Walt believed that he know who did the theft and if he was correct they did not really know the value of the piece.
He was seldom wrong in his information or beliefs, but he would be happy to know that he was wrong on this one. Guess I will have to make a trip to Philly; that and a cheese steak sandwich would be worth it.
Dick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:28:27 AM »
THIS IS GREAT!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 04:13:27 AM »
Awesome!!!  Looks like a day trip will be in order for my wife and I.

Offline vanu

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 04:44:17 AM »
Spectacular!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 05:05:11 AM »
Looks like someone's been snapping that lock over the last 48 years.

Good to see it made the wild ride intact.  It was stolen two months before I was born!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
Very Good News!
Joel Hall

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
 Never thought we'd see that one again. Seems to me I had heard the river theory before.

Tim C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »
One good thing about the variety of articles is that each also uses different photos!  So slowly but surely, we get new photos since I guess Wes White was the last to document it prior to 1971.

Offline Molly

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
Would like to know more about those responsible and the path it took from the date of the theft until now.

Offline spgordon

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »
I'm sure most folks on this site have seen this before, but in case not:

https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline utseabee

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 02:09:34 AM »
Looks like a trip to the museum in the near future.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »
Would like to know more about those responsible and the path it took from the date of the theft until now.

Wouldn't that be interesting, there's got to be a story there.

Tim

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
It sounded to me like the investigation was still going.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
I hope that the story of where the rifle has been does not involve a innocent collector who may have bought the rifle unaware of the theft.  This was the case with the John Jacob Sheetz battle of New Orleans rifle. The difference being that the Oerter rifle was reported stolen when the theft happened, the Sheetz rifle was never reported as stolen. The FBI just showed up at the collector's door said that the rifle was stolen, gave the collector no proof, then confiscated the rifle.  In this case the museum just said that the rifle belonged to the museum, supposedly contacted the FBI 30+ years after the supposed theft, that they didn't report and had the FBI confiscate the rifle from the collector. The museum did have documentation where the Ross family donated the rifle to the museum, so they could prove that it was in their posestion at one time, but they could not prove that the rifle had been stolen. They did not have to prove that it was stolen, all the museum had to do was claim it was stolen, report the supposed theft to the FBI and have them conficate the rifle. All of a sudden the museum has a historic rifle that they now value at 600K that they say they didn't know was missing for over 30 years. It's strange how the museum's memory got better at the 200th anniversary of the battle and had the rifle confiscated. How many of you collector's have high value historical arms? How many of you think that they belong to you? I hope that the FBI never knocks on your door because you will find out real quick you do not and you will have no say so in the matter.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
That's a little bit of a one-sided argument. There are probably a number of good rifles floating around out there that were stolen from historical societies back in the 1960s, 1970s, and even into the 1980s when the value of the item began to escalate. Many historical societies and smaller museums kept very poor records back in those days, and it was pretty easy for an item to "walk out" when no one was looking. I've seem a number of historical societies lose good items over the years, that I saw years ago, but suddenly are no longer there, and no good explanation by the Historical Society of what happened...primarily because of volunteer help in some positions, and poor or incomplete records for many items.

A theft is always a theft. If a firearm was stolen from an individual, rather than an historical society, would it make a difference? What about the original wishes of the family that donated the firearm...shouldn't that also count for something? The law is pretty clear in the United States, and we are all fortunate for that. Innocent people may get hurt in the process, but the initial party that lost the item was also hurt when it was stolen. We need to keep an open mind on some of this, and realize this will happen from time to time. But our laws are a lot better than the alternative. Shelby Gallien

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »
Shelby, I had an experience similar to the above back when I was dealing in firearms.  I bought a shotgun from a fellow, and a few days later sold it to a young lady who bought it as a present for her Dad.

Week or two later, an investigator for Oklahoma came in, had a list of firearms (with serial numbers), and asked if I had seen any of them.  About the 6th item down the list was the shotgun I had bought and re-sold.

I gave him the name and address of both buyer and seller, we called the young lady and had her bring the shotgun in.

I refunded her money, and we gave the shotgun to the OSBI investigator.  I never got a refund from the guy I brought is from, but did get a bit of satisfaction when he and his cohorts got a 15 to 25 year sentence in the state penitentiary.  Still would have like the refund!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »
That is my point exactly, the record keeping was very pour, but all the museum had to do was say the rifle was stolen from them, they did not have to prove it was stolen. What if the museum sold the rifle under the table, no theft report was filed. All of a sudden today the rifle was being shown and the value much higher than 30 years ago and all of a sudden the museums memory gets better. The shoe will be on the other foot Shelby when the FBI comes to your door.

Just saying to all collectors out there, the FBI has been involved in two major confiscations in our hobby. The Oerter rifle as far as we know has a happy ending but in the Sheetz rifle the collector is out of thousands of dollars.

Will you be next?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline spgordon

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 12:18:45 AM »
Why would any museum not report a rifle stolen at the time, I wonder?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:19 AM »
Because it is very likely an inside job, as many museum “thefts”are.