Author Topic: Tennessee rifle sharing features of Washington Hatfield  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Tennessee rifle sharing features of Washington Hatfield
« on: November 03, 2019, 03:39:09 AM »
Selling for a friend. $1050

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:25:11 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Any ideas on the origins of this one?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
The gun has a number of details in common with the Washington Hatfield rifles of Indiana...although it is not a Hatfield rifle. But Washington Hatfield was trained in Green County, TN, north of Knoxville, so perhaps this rifle has ties to that area.

The "details" in common with Hatfield's work include: the use of numerous small diamond inlays; the long and thin inlay in the middle of the front butt which on a Hatfield rifle is an arrow of about the same size and pointing forward; the rear pipe treatment; clean triangular butt with moderate butt plate return instead of the normally longer ones found on most TN rifles; side facing with slight point on the front end.

The foreword iron pipe with the beautiful scalloped ends really throws a clinker in it...it differs greatly from the rear brass pipe which is a standard pipe with simple ring on the leading end.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:50:01 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Any ideas on the origins of this one?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the information and direction Shelby.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Tennessee rifle sharing features of Washington Hatfield
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 03:38:04 AM »
How can I move this post to the for sale section?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
I moved it.  I'm sure Shreck will add price info shortly.

-Ron
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
-Nate McKenzie

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »
Interesting rifle. Can you add additional info? Caliber, barrel length, bore condition, overall length?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
Itís 52 inches overall. The barrel is 36 inches plus. Caliber about 37. Rifling is shallow. Some pitting.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25:29 AM »
 The ramrod pipe in question doesnít seem to fit the relief in the rib. So could it be a replacement salvaged from another gun? I agree there are several features that point to either Washington Hatfield, or the same region he learned his trade.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 12:54:01 AM »
It looks like it fits to me, can you be more specific?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 03:05:46 AM »
Maybe Iím seeing something else, but it looks like the iron pipe is about an eighth of an inch shorter than the relief in the rib.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 03:39:18 AM »
It is shorter than the pipe but the base of the pipe is wide than the pipe, filling the dovetail.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 04:55:13 PM »
 I was not aware the pipe was dovetailed. I donít think I recall seeing that done on a muzzleloader with an under rib before. Is that a W. Hatfield feature?

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »
Maybe Shelby can answer that.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 04:52:25 AM »
Price drop $950