Author Topic: Shipping antique arms to the UK  (Read 3897 times)

Offline 44-henry

Shipping antique arms to the UK
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:47:02 AM »
I figure some of you have already had some experience with this so I figured I would ask. I have an antique percussion double on gunbroker right now and I have received a couple requests to ship it to the UK. How difficult would this be to do?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Shipping antique arms to the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »
You gotta find a shipping broker  and pay a fee. Last time I sent a gun to Europe it was about a $70 fee + shipping. Time consuming process. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:03:55 AM »
It shouldn't actually be a problem if the gun is actually over 100 years old. Under UK law new made guns cannot be considered antique even if they are muzzleloaders, but a percussion shotgun should not even require a shotgun certificate. There are additional licenses needed if you want to shoot it but that isn't an issue here.

I've sent guns via UPS, FedEX and postal service... etc...and it can be a $#@* shoot getting the right person in those organizations who knows their own rules. I usually fill out the customs declaration very precisely and truthfully but in a way most people will not readily understand... i.e. instead of "old shotgun", "16ga Manton dbl Antique over 100 years old". The recipient will have to pay duty and probably have a headache with the UK customs but there is nothing illegal about such a shipment. It would probably be a big help to mail to a licensed dealer in the UK just like our FFL works. They will be in a better position to explain to the customs people what is legal and what isn't.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
The last time we tried to ship even gun parts out of the country by either UPS or Fed X the parts were returned (at our expense) with a note that neither company will ship anything even remotely related to a "gun" outside the US.  Our only option for anything going out of the US is the post office.  Generally, no problem with then unless they loose the package, then expect them to take up to a year or more to pay on the insurance.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:39 AM »
I would not even ship one to Canada unless at the *buyer's risk*. Then I might pass....
The gov't might decide its illegal and melt it down....

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, there was a bit of a bidding war near the end and a US resident bought it so I think I saved myself some complications.