Author Topic: Patching material thicknesses  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Scota4570

Patching material thicknesses
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:44:48 AM »
Has anyone compiled a list of fabric thicknesses?  For instance cotton ticking is around 0.018".  Denim from old jeans is 0.033".  I saw a suggestion in another post regarding hemp cloth patches.  What ounce per yard?  What weave?  This information would be necessary to buy on-line because you can not measure before you buy, 

Offline mountainman

Re: Patching material thicknesses
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:56:22 AM »
Cotton ticking comes in different thickness, I have anywhere from .009 to .021

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:06:39 AM »
Yes,

The blue and white stripe kind at my Jojans fabric store is about 0.018".  I'm trying to find out if anyone has kept track of the thicknesses of various fabrics to facilitate buying sight unseen. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:25:17 AM »
To complicate the issue at Joanne's Fabrics there is blue and white stripped ticking. One is .010 and the other is .015, one is mattress ticking and the other is pillow ticking so don't just grab the first bolt of fabric you find.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 04:59:27 AM »
Joanne's #40 drill comes in around  017 to 018.  Various ticking materials have varied a lot from bolt to bolt from the same store.  I'm not sure a reliable list could be made. 
Mike Lee

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:37 AM »
Not true. I have found their ticking to to be the same time after time. The problem is their pillow ticking (.015) looks just the same as their mattress ticking (.010). So if you don't read the end of the bolt and measure it don't be surprised when what you get is not what you wanted. Don't go by color alone.
The"Muskrat" has spoken!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
... This information would be necessary to buy on-line because you can not measure before you buy,

Pretty sure I've seen sample swatches available from online sellers. 

Perhaps someone could order up a pile of "likely suspects" in drill and linen and othersuch, then measure them and post a list. Of course what one person measures as 017" might be .016" to someone else, but it should help folks get a better idea than the online stores are providing.  Maybe even use product numbers for fool-proof identification at a given supplier.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:40:03 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
Joanne's 10oz bull denim in natural is .020 works well for me.
Chad

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »
"Of course what one person measures as 017" might be .016" to someone else, but it should help folks get a better idea than the online stores are providing."

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of different techniques to measure the thickness. 

I use high quality digital calipers.  I put the fabric between the jaws for the full length of the jaws, squeeze then release.  Wherever the fabric rebounds to is my number.  That takes the variable pressure out of the equation. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Having a list of materials and measurements made by a contributor would get you within the ballpark, I suppose, but is pretty useless in my opinion.  The above post by Scota 4570 is an example.  The measurement I need is the fully compressed dimension, as if the material was squeezed between the ball and the bore.  What is rebounds to is irrelevant.  But I'm sure it works for him.  His numbers would be meaningless to me.
The process of selecting patch material fabric is very easy and simple, but you need to have the material, and a measuring device, in hand.  Once you have done that and recorded the ounce weight, you might be able to take a chance on ordering material on-line.  But surely fabric stores are not that scarce.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
I have found 10oz denim works in almost every gun I've ever loaded.  The Joanne's Fabric Store in Yuma, Az. had 11oz. when I went in for a look-see.
That would also work.
My 14 bore likes 12 and 14oz. depending on ball diameter. I normally shoot 2 sizes in it, both pure lead and alloyed. .682" and .675".
This is an example of how it shoots with .022" canvas and 14oz. Deni I measured at .034", both with the .682" pure lead ball.
No wiping.

Here is a target, also 50yards shot with that rifle using a 16 bore ball of .662" and 2, .017" 8oz denim patches.
not bad.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:10:44 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
"The measurement I need is the fully compressed dimension,..."

Yes, that is where it goes wrong.  Fully compressed is relative.  It depends on how tight one screws the micrometer.  Getting the same answer as the next guy would be by luck.  Thus my suggestion, it would give some semblance of consistency.

Does anyone have a general guess on the thicknesses of fabrics by ounces per yard?   

Offline mikeo

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Daryl

For years I bought all my patch material from Joann fabric store in Yuma.  They got use to seeing me walking around with calipers in hand, but no more, they closed the store last year.

Mike
mikeo

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 02:02:08 AM »
Yes it does depend a lot on how one measures the material.  Mattress ticking is thicker than pillow ticking even though they look alike.  Probably best to try different materials and use the thickest one that shoots well and seats reasonably easy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.