Author Topic: locks shipping!!!  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
locks shipping!!!
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:53:08 AM »
It's a good day.  Our round faced English locks are starting to ship today.  These went together quite well, are super slick and great sparkers.  Looking forward to them getting out in the world. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: locks shipping!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »
EXCELLENT!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Shane A Gress

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:53:00 AM »
Looking forward to dropping the hammer on one.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:16:48 AM »
Jim,
Well done, and congrats on the new facet to your business.
I wish you great success, it will be well deserved.
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Woodbutcher

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 03:46:26 PM »
I got mine yesterday. WOW! I've never seen anything like it. Everything fits.
I'm going to take it to the club meeting next week so my friends can suffer.
Thank you for your wonderful work, Woodbutcher

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:19:36 PM »
Thanks Woodbutcher.  Spread the word!  These are a win for us and every customer.  I can sit and tell everyone how good these are, but people need to see them to really understand and appreciate what sets them apart.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:14:25 AM »

I'm going to take it to the club meeting next week so my friends can suffer.

Best advertising there is!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

galudwig

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
Received my lock yesterday. A work of art right down to the decorative accents on the mainspring! I'm impressed with the overall "thinness" of the lock plate/bolster compared to similar offerings. This should help enhance the overall slimming of the lock area during a build. The fit of the cock to the tumbler is about as close to perfect as you can get! The gap between cock and plate is amazing; about the thickness of 3-4 sheets of paper all the way around. The gap remains consistent even as the lock is cycled from rest through to full cock. The sear arm appears to have a bearing surface that lifts it off the plate so that there's no contact with it during movement. The sear spring is beautiful; like nothing you've ever seen on a commercial lock. The frizzen/pan fit is nearly flawless and that alone is worth the price of admission! The frizzen snaps shut with authority and there is absolutely no gap or play between it and the bridle. It also sparks like an SOB! The metal finish is very smooth as it comes. There are some remnants of parting lines on the cock and frizzen, but the overall amount of cleanup and prep time spent on the exposed surfaces before applying the desired finish should be greatly reduced.

I'm sure there are other features I'm missing, but these were the things that stood out to me on first examination of the lock right out of the box. I'll be taking mine around and showing others an example of what a commercial lock can and should be. I'm excited to see what the future holds for us from Jim and Katherine!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 03:54:01 AM »
Guess I should check my mail....and email.   

I got a notification that my order shipped yesterday.  I bumped the mailbox blowing leaves and realized it had a box in it....whoa! My lock!!!!

I can't even put into words how that lock feels.  It's incredible.  I honestly can't get over it.   And the shower of Sparks that don't go out....I can almost guarantee I can get a rifle to fire without priming the pan without much trouble. ..not a freak accident...I think it'd be very probable. 

Definitely in a league of its own. 

Looking forward to seeing what else comes!! 

Offline G_T

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
Dang, that lock is a nice piece of work!

Gerald

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:52:59 PM »
Thank you guys.  I'm happy to hear you appreciate what went into these and what makes them different than others.  I can't wait for more people to get their hands on these.  It will change expectations.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the fantastic feedback, both public and private.  This means more than I can express.  Katherine and I have put a tremendous amount of work into these lock projects and knowing it is appreciated makes it all worthwhile.  Locks will be our focus for a while.  We have ideas for many more styles.  We're comitted to producing the highest possible quality on all levels.  Don't be afraid to let us know if you have ideas for potential projects.  Also, we're always looking for fine original examples to study and use as possible examples for future projects.  If you think you might be able to help, just let us know.

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

galudwig

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 04:27:25 AM »
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the fantastic feedback, both public and private.  This means more than I can express.  Katherine and I have put a tremendous amount of work into these lock projects and knowing it is appreciated makes it all worthwhile.  Locks will be our focus for a while.  We have ideas for many more styles.  We're comitted to producing the highest possible quality on all levels.  Don't be afraid to let us know if you have ideas for potential projects.  Also, we're always looking for fine original examples to study and use as possible examples for future projects.  If you think you might be able to help, just let us know.

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

I wish we had a more options for a double-throated cock on a flint rifle. You see so many pictures of later rifles that have them. Even though many were the hardware store variety and associated with lower quality, many were still seen on finer guns. With CNC capabilities, there's no longer any reason not to use quality components in developing a double-throated lock. It sure would be nice to have something different for our later guns.

A while back, I contacted Dave Rase about a double-throated lock that he had used on a build. It was modified a Chambers Late Ketland lock that used a double-throated cock he had gotten from Jerry Devaudreuil from Wooster. Here is the picture that Dave sent me of the finished lock. Dave did an amazing job on the conversion!

Offline Frank

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
Jim, Two locks that you should consider adding are an Early Ketland and a French Tulle lock. You could probably use the same internals as your English lock.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:19:47 PM by Frank »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
After playing with my lock more, I am just amazed.   

Since Christmas is coming....and we are making a wish list....

I will be the odd ball.  Everyone wants specialty type locks...and I understand why.   

I'd love a couple Germanic styled locks.  Something early and something Siler-ish. And from a business standpoint, I'd say a Siler-ish lock would probably be the leader of sales. 

I understand there's several Siler type locks on the market.   But there isn't one from Kibler...and after you get your paws on a Kibler lock, you'd probably agree that it'll be hard to use other locks in the future... the quality is just unreal. 

I don't know much about lock polishing and tuning.  I haven't gotten there yet.  I use locks basically as I get them.  I clean up the back of the plate for contact and get it flat...then I prep the outside for finishing.  Ive never handled anything like Kiblers lock.  I didn't understand all the hype about different locks, tuning and polishing etc.  To me, the lock needs to make my gun fire...and they do that just dandy....but now I see the difference and the hype.  I'm super anxious to get it on a gun with a trigger...I think it'll really shine. 

So yes, I'd say make some of the more common locks first. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

I wish we had a more options for a double-throated cock on a flint rifle. You see so many pictures of later rifles that have them. Even though many were the hardware store variety and associated with lower quality, many were still seen on finer guns. With CNC capabilities, there's no longer any reason not to use quality components in developing a double-throated lock. It sure would be nice to have something different for our later guns.

A while back, I contacted Dave Rase about a double-throated lock that he had used on a build. It was modified a Chambers Late Ketland lock that used a double-throated cock he had gotten from Jerry Devaudreuil from Wooster. Here is the picture that Dave sent me of the finished lock. Dave did an amazing job on the conversion!

Gary,

That's something to consider.  I'm not a big fan of the double throated cock, but it wouldn't be too hard to adapt to the later English lock I'm working on and would be another option for customers.  Thanks!

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
Jim, Two locks that you should consider adding are an Early Ketland and a French Tulle lock. You could probably use the same internals as your English lock.

I would love to do a 1770's flat faced English lock.  To my eye these are really fantastic.  I'm not sure how great of a seller they would be, but I still would like to do one.  My internals for the round faced English lock are good sized and I'm not sure if they would fit in a slightly smaller lock, but they may work.  If not, they could be scaled slightly.  Thanks for the reminder about these locks.

I'll be honest...  I don't know squat about Tulle locks.  Guess I need to learn.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »
After playing with my lock more, I am just amazed.   

Since Christmas is coming....and we are making a wish list....

I will be the odd ball.  Everyone wants specialty type locks...and I understand why.   

I'd love a couple Germanic styled locks.  Something early and something Siler-ish. And from a business standpoint, I'd say a Siler-ish lock would probably be the leader of sales. 

I understand there's several Siler type locks on the market.   But there isn't one from Kibler...and after you get your paws on a Kibler lock, you'd probably agree that it'll be hard to use other locks in the future... the quality is just unreal. 

I don't know much about lock polishing and tuning.  I haven't gotten there yet.  I use locks basically as I get them.  I clean up the back of the plate for contact and get it flat...then I prep the outside for finishing.  Ive never handled anything like Kiblers lock.  I didn't understand all the hype about different locks, tuning and polishing etc.  To me, the lock needs to make my gun fire...and they do that just dandy....but now I see the difference and the hype.  I'm super anxious to get it on a gun with a trigger...I think it'll really shine. 

So yes, I'd say make some of the more common locks first.

Thanks so much for the nice message.  Yes, at leat one Germanic style lock.  Probably two to be honest.  One a little later and smaller and one a little more robust and earlier.    Oh, about the trigger pull...  I would suggest a 2:1 ratio between the distance fro the pivot to the finger contact versus the distance from the pivot to the sear contact.  I think this will give you around a 2.5 pound trigger pull with our locks.  One quality point on a lock that many don't talk about is the pull required to trip the sear.  Depending on the design of the lock and how they're put together, this can vary greatly.  We've take care to make this as nice as possible.  Also, with machined parts, we can make very consitent notches with minimal depth while still maintaining saftey.  This results in a very short trigger pull. 

All the best,
Jim
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:52:29 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »
I sure would like to see a nice English lock say circa 1690 or 1720 ; )

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »
I would too!  I'm guessing we're two of a relatively small number though ;)  Ha!

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »

Track of the Wolf put out a very good Tulle lock a few years ago.  From what I understand they went the CNC route on several of it's components years ago.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »
Hi,
This is great news Jim and Katherine!  Jim, I think a flat faced English lock from the 1770s would be very popular because many were imported to America before and after the Rev War.  A lock like those on early Twigg guns that are elegant but not including the later bells and whistles of roller bearing, stirrups, and separate "water proof" pans.  However, still something more refined than Chambers early Ketland. I am thinking of William Bailes, Joseph Griffin, Twigg, from the 1760s-1770s.  Another would be a good English pistol lock from 1780s-1790s.

Flintfan, if TOW is using CNC machined parts on their Tulle lock, I suggest they fire their programmer. See the photos below.  Note in the first that there is no spring tension on the frizzen when it is fully open.  It kind of rattles around. Second, look at the gap between the flint cock and the lock plate.  That is no QC mistake.  It is because the shoulder on the cock barely overlaps the lock plate bolster at rest. Most of the shoulder is stopped by the thin edge of the plate.  If the cock is positioned closer to the plate, the shoulder is deeper than the thickness of the plate making the lock impossible to inlet and have the cock clear the wood without the top edge of the plate fully exposed.  Their solution was to move the cock way out on the tumbler so only a little bit of the shoulder rests on the plate.  Really bad design.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
When track first came out with the Tulle lock I believe it was assembled by Chambers and included a fly in the tumbler. I never had any of the issues you have, but since that time someone else must be putting those things together. They no longer have a fly,but still have the big price tag!

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
Yeah, didn't see all of those problems with mine either.  I must have one of the newer ones because mine doesn't have the fly either which is fine for me because I am using a simple single trigger.  Seems like the frizzen spring issue should be a easy fix with a simple phone call, but I agree that never should have left the shop with that issue.

I see what you mean about the cock offset, but hasn't caused any issues on my gun I guess. Mine doesn't look quite far off as yours.  All I know it is the most correct Tulle lock on the market today, and mine works great so far.  Admittedly my impression is based on a whopping test sample of 1.

I welcome any new locks on the market, seems like we are getting an embarrassment of riches the last couple years i.e. Laubach, Kibler, Track.  Hopefully there will be more.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
The only parts I see on that Tulle lock that could be cnc machined are the screws.  Those are some pretty serious quality issues.   Yikes!  When things like this pop out I could only wonder what other issues are lurking.