Author Topic: locks shipping!!!  (Read 4606 times)

Offline FlintFan

Re: locks shipping!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 10:46:00 PM »
The only parts I see on that Tulle lock that could be cnc machined are the screws.  Those are some pretty serious quality issues.   Yikes!  When things like this pop out I could only wonder what other issues are lurking.

From what I can tell from my lock, the tumbler is both machined and from what I can tell, wire EDM'd around the perimeter. The lock plate, which appears to be a casting, is machined on the inside surface.  I'm assuming the screw holes are drilled and tapped at the same time.

Again, my lock doesn't have all the issues that Smart Dog posted. From studying his photo, I noticed he must have ground/filed off the "TULLE" that is cast into my lock plate.  Doing that would exacerbate how much the cock is standing off the plate if the plate is taken down the thickness of the cast in engraving, which I would estimate at around .015-.020 deep. Looking at my lock, that distance is approximately about 1/3 less.  Still there, but not as excessive. However he also could have welded up the engraving, which would throw my idea out the window, and it would chalk it up to variation in the manufacture which would be concerning.

Not sure why I am becoming a defender of Track, don't have a horse in the race, but just hate to see a manufacturer that is sticking their neck out trying to bring out new product not get a fair shake, especially when it is not the same experience I have had with the same product.

Jim, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Long story short, the more options we have the better.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:49:57 PM by FlintFan »

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
Hi Flintfan,
Not to make this thread about the Tulle lock but no plate thickness was reduced.  The "Tulle" was removed by adding weld.  The plate was too thin to begin with to allow me just to file off the name.  When I finished fixing the lock to meet my objectives for the gun and performance standards it looked like this.   

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »
Very nicely done!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 03:15:50 AM »
Jim, that's great news!!

I forgot to mention that.... couldn't help myself but to fire itnone more time today lol.   You're absolutely right. It trips and breaks easily and smoothly.  That's what made me mention in anxious to get it in a gun with a trigger because I think it'll be fantastic.  I will keep those notes for when I get there and pin a trigger.   

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 03:03:04 AM »
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the fantastic feedback, both public and private.  This means more than I can express.  Katherine and I have put a tremendous amount of work into these lock projects and knowing it is appreciated makes it all worthwhile.  Locks will be our focus for a while.  We have ideas for many more styles.  We're comitted to producing the highest possible quality on all levels.  Don't be afraid to let us know if you have ideas for potential projects.  Also, we're always looking for fine original examples to study and use as possible examples for future projects.  If you think you might be able to help, just let us know.

All the best,
Jim and Katherine

I wish we had a more options for a double-throated cock on a flint rifle. You see so many pictures of later rifles that have them. Even though many were the hardware store variety and associated with lower quality, many were still seen on finer guns. With CNC capabilities, there's no longer any reason not to use quality components in developing a double-throated lock. It sure would be nice to have something different for our later guns.

A while back, I contacted Dave Rase about a double-throated lock that he had used on a build. It was modified a Chambers Late Ketland lock that used a double-throated cock he had gotten from Jerry Devaudreuil from Wooster. Here is the picture that Dave sent me of the finished lock. Dave did an amazing job on the conversion!

Gary,

That's something to consider.  I'm not a big fan of the double throated cock, but it wouldn't be too hard to adapt to the later English lock I'm working on and would be another option for customers.  Thanks!

Jim

Oh please do, and offer them in lefts and rights also. I am looking for a set for a future SxS that I am planning at some time (when I get good enough to do one justice).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:24:38 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Frank

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
Fantastic lock. Very smooth and the sparks just sizzle in the pan. Very easy on flints as well.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Frank.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 03:55:44 AM »
When is the next batch shipping out?  I have one on order.  thanks
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
Probably the end of next week.

Thanks!
Jim