Author Topic: Southern Patchbox  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Prospector8083

Southern Patchbox
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:08:08 PM »
I am enjoying myself acquiring new knowledge concerning southern mountain rifle building. I am using kibler kit and I just love large patchboxes on rifles.From my research the long skinny single and double iron is the most common. Can anyone steer me to pictures of iron mounted southern rifles that have something different, like a bigger fuller patchbox but still accurate in history. I would also like your opinions on toeplates and nosecaps and if you feel they are appropriate. Forgive my ignorance as I just found out about this school of rifles recently! :)

Offline heinz

Re: Southern Patchbox
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »
The Whitson family used wider patchboxes.  I think this site has some photos
Here is a photo of one I did based on the Whitsons

kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:56 AM »
Here is another box on the Bogel rifle

kind regards, heinz

Offline GA Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:26 AM »
Richard Allen built rifles in his shop located on the border of Georgia and Creek Indian territory early 1800's. Located about 30 miles south of my home. Here is a picture of an iron patchbox. If you search in this site "Richard Allen rifle" there are addtl pictures. I don't know of a better iron mounted rifle.

upload image online

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks, that is cool.Has anyone ever seen a southern tifle with a large floral iron patchbox similar to the brass ones up north? If that is not authentic then I will go with the bean type.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
Look at some of Hershel House rifles, he has several rifles with a full box floral finials design. These are contemporary rifles but his boxes are very well designed and don't look out of place on a southern iron mounted rifle. You would have to do a good job with the layout on the Kibler SMR because it is fairly small and slim rifle but I think it would be doable.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:17:27 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Prospector,... I like the "typical" Tennessee look,... however I have seen some Tennessee rifles in collections with the details you describe,... there were some made with iron patch-boxes that had a Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania look,... if you don't have Jerry Noble's series of books on Tennessee rifles,... GET THEM,.. !!! ... he has some pictured in them,... The Bull family of East Tennessee were known for this style,... I couldn't find a pic of one with iron,.. but here is one with fancy patch-box, and otherwise Tennessee style fittings and profile in brass,... builder was John Valentine Bull of Grainger Co. TN & later Marion Co. AL,.... regards,... CCF.... (BTW,... go to College Hill Arsenal website for more pictures, description and history of this rifle)