Author Topic: Rivets  (Read 1626 times)

Offline mountainman

Rivets
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:33:38 AM »
Just wondering where you all get your rivets from?
I'm doing a silver nose cap, just wondering where I can buy silver rivets?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Rivets
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:13 AM »
I would think that probably you'll have to make them yourself out of silver wire.... now, where do you get silver wire?  :D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 02:50:07 AM »
Some time ago I found some german silver nails that I used to make silver rivets that were real hard to make out once dressed down.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 03:15:15 AM »
I get my silver from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply,  But many of the metal sellers are around the country.  I'd use a fairly heavy gage, like 12 or 14, for rivets.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 03:36:13 AM »
You can saw a short strip from the material your using to make your rivets.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 04:57:16 AM »
You can saw a short strip from the material your using to make your rivets.
When making your rivets do you aneal it first?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:12:53 AM »
Oh, yes, please do anneal it first! Dull red, and quench in water. Heat travels in silver like lightning, so use pliers to hold the wire, even if the piece is fairly long.

You can make a block of steel with a hole and a countersink. Drop a piece of wire in the hole that's just a tad longer than the hole, and hammer it down to fill the countersink. File off any extra, and push the rivet out from the other side. You might even want to anneal the rivets after forming.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
I use a jewelers "charcoal" block, lay the rivets on it, and heat til dull red. Then you can dunk it or let it cool.
Wrap some wire around the block to keep it from breaking.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
I generally make rivets by cutting a slice off with a saw.  Clamp it in the vise with enough sticking out.  Round this and taper with a file.  The area held in the vise ends up being the head.  Easy a pie.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 03:45:10 AM »
I generally make rivets by cutting a slice off with a saw.  Clamp it in the vise with enough sticking out.  Round this and taper with a file.  The area held in the vise ends up being the head.  Easy a pie.
That's what I did then today, anealled about 4 times per piece, here's a photo of my attempt, I suppose they'll work. I flatten the head as I formed them, it was more or less rounded, then I filed 4 sides, to keep them from turning in the mortise.
Thanks all again!