Author Topic: Horn spout  (Read 1813 times)

Offline BJH

Horn spout
« on: November 08, 2019, 02:06:24 AM »
In Sibleys  book they suggested 1/4 I’d hole in the sout end. And using the tang of a file to taper the inside dia. Anybody use a #5 Morse taper reamer to ream the hole for a nicely tapered plug? Just curious.... BJH
BJH

Offline msellers

Re: Horn spout
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:00:57 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't, but all I have is a few files so simple it is for me.
Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:39:06 PM »
I use a taper pin reamer on my own horns and it works very nicely.  The taper is gentle enough that the plug jams and stays put.  I end up with about 5/16" at the mouth.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »
 I don't see why it wouldn't work, I have tried the file tang thing it does a respectable job. I have a couple old pipe reamers in 1/8-1/2" that work well. A tapered Rat tail file or rasp also does a good job. More than one way to skin a cat.
 Once you cut the horn off drill the hole and also drill one in the scrap end of the tip. Try tapering it and see how it goes. Gives you Two hole to test on or drill crossway holes and try them.

Tim C.

Offline FDR

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:08:11 AM »
Repairman's reamer from HF. Modify it as needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html

Fred

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:39:02 AM »
I use a reamer made for violin makers to shape the holes for the tuning pegs.  I also have a peg tapering shaver so I can easily make a matching spout plug to fit.  Perfect fit of peg and spout.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 08:25:17 AM »
For the pour spout I have used a 0MI reamer, drilled a 1/4. hole and then reamed in the taper.  That leaves a 1/4" at the starting point.  The 0MT reamer is .2520" at the small end and .3561 at the large end. 

For the fill hole, I threaded the inside of the wood cap with a 1" NPT pipe thread and threaded the plug with 1:MPT..  Big hole to fill the horn small hole to empty it. 

Offline BJH

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
What’s a OMI reamer?
BJH

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
Taylor that sounds like the same reamer I have in mind.
BJH

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
I have just used a file tang on the 2 I've drilled. I just use the same tang to lay out the peg on the wood I'm going to make it out of and then fine tune it from there.
Psalms 144

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »
This is the one I use on my horns. The finished holes take a fiddle peg well.

https://www.powderhornsandmore.com/product/t-handle-reamer/

Mike

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 01:19:03 AM »
The key here is to make a tapered hole. I use a lineman's ream. Have for many years. I also use the tang of a file to make a different taper. I even taper my tiny holes in my priming horns. The taper on the plug is as important as on the hole. I tend to make the plug tapered so it touches down in the throat first. Keeps it from splitting the tip of the horn.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
 I'm not even sure it is necessary to taper the hole. You could just make the plug longer and or tighter. Once powder gets poured in and out a few times the plug is going to fit differently. I usually leave mine sticking out a bit for that reason. As Steve says with a tapered plug you run the risk of splitting the horn.
 One time at a show a guy was looking at a horn pulled the plug, stuck it back in an popped it with his hand, the horn split and he walked on. Easy fix but aggravating.
 If the plug is to loose, soak the shaft with water, let it dry and see how it fits.

Tim C.   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 03:07:08 AM »
I don't generally taper my holes.   I do taper my stoppers ever so slightly.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
Perhaps I'm a Type A.  When I pour powder I like to get on with it, so my spouts are 5/16".  As to the plugs, I make mine v slightly oversized, and then split them with a fine saw so that they need to be compressed a little bit for insertion; they never come loose.