Author Topic: RUGG lock  (Read 7269 times)

chapmans

RUGG lock
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
 I have a ladies rifle that belongs to a friend that is signed with a stamp, Wm. C. Kurns-1974 it is a percussion halfstock, nice gun, it has a lock marked "RUGG" on the inside of the lockplate and was wondering if anyone had any info on the lock, it is very well made. It was built to be a match/target rifle because it has no halfcock notch and has very fine set triggers. I can post pics if it will help I'll just have to upload some to photbucket.
   Regards, Steve Chapman

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: RUGG lock
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
Could it be an old, 19th century lock?
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

chapmans

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
  Here are some photos that may help.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
Looks like a re-used antique lock. And a nice one at that!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
Very interesting lock.   Did anyone notice how he handled the front lock bolt problem, when it apparently collided with the
ramrod?  Even tho he didn't need that front lock bolt, he must have wanted to use one, consequently ran into that problem.   Kind of a unique solution to that problem, never saw it done this way before...........Don

chapmans

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:06:42 AM »
  The lock is very crisp with a stout mainspring, with a heavy bridle. I built a rifle for my son about 8 or 9 years ago and used this rifle for the pattern. I don't know who made the barrel but it has deep rifling and is as smooth as glass. I may put it on the bench and wring it out. The fellow is thinking about selling it and I know a woman who may be interested, it is a well made rifle, and has seen very little use from the looks of the muzzle. The barrel is 13/16" .40 cal 30" long, walnut stock and German silver mounted, weighs 6 3/4 lbs.
  Steve C.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:15 AM »
Very interesting lock.   Did anyone notice how he handled the front lock bolt problem, when it apparently collided with the
ramrod?  Even tho he didn't need that front lock bolt, he must have wanted to use one, consequently ran into that problem.   Kind of a unique solution to that problem, never saw it done this way before...........Don

That is a very unique way of handling that problem. Thanks for pointing that out, Don. I missed it the first time around.

chapmans

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:56:20 AM »
   I took a few quick pics of the rifle so you could see the complete rifle.

This is a nice old rifle and deserves to be shot, just my opinion.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »
I don't think it's old...not as old as I am anyway.  That looks to me like a T/C guard, and the mainspring in the lock looks like something Dixie sells/sold.  The rear sight looks like a modern one too.  Just a guess and I'm likely way out to lunch, but I'd say 1970 - 1980 - maybe even later .  Looks like a very well made rifle by a maker with skill and ingenuity.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

chapmans

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »
Taylor,
  I put those sights on close to 10 yrs ago, it has had several different sights including peeps at some point. The barrel is stamped 1974 so you are close to the year of manufacture. The maker is/was Wm. C. Kurns, stamped in the barrel.
   Regards, Steve C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Real nice rifle, thanks for sharing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
I'm surprised none of you have made any commets about Bill Kurns?  He was quite a shooter
in the early 1970's  at Friendship. He was one of the first to use the "Teflon" coated patching.
Shot a lot of bench
The Pistol Shooter

chapmans

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
Frizzen,
   Do you happen to know if Mr. Kurns made barrels, the fellow who owns this rifle thought maybe he made the barrel also.
  Regards, Steve Chapman

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
Yes, I believe he did make the barrels. I have a article with pictures in a old "Muzzle Blast"
if I can find it.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:50:02 AM »
I don't think it's old...not as old as I am anyway.  That looks to me like a T/C guard, and the mainspring in the lock looks like something Dixie sells/sold.  The rear sight looks like a modern one too.  Just a guess and I'm likely way out to lunch, but I'd say 1970 - 1980 - maybe even later .  Looks like a very well made rifle by a maker with skill and ingenuity.

Would you say the lock itself is old? I can't recall any lock like it that was available in the latter half of the 20th century.

chapmans

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
  I found out a little more about the lock, it was made by a fellow named Bruce Rugg from the Chicago area, and I am told Mr. Kurns was also from that area. They shot at a place, the owner thought , is called Ft. Dearborn, he said Mr Kurns liked to shoot X-stick. They also shot with a fellow named Dale Kassner (sp). Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?
  Regards, Steve Chapman

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
They shot at a place, the owner thought , is called Ft. Dearborn,
Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?
Steve,
I'm gonna take a shot at this, and Randy might be able to add or correct me.

There is an old ML club called the Fort Dearborn Muzzleloaders.  They shot at the Aurora Sportsmans Club.  All those guys were likely members.  A guy named Ken Drogemuller (sic) was the ramrod of the outfit.  He lived in Downers Grove, and is at least as old as me.  If he still lives there, you should be able to find his phone number online.  Try this number  (630) 969-6849
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

RJ Palmer

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
Mr. Kerns was from Morgantown West Virginia. He passed away several years ago. He ran his shop from the basement of his house. He had quite a following and really enjoyed visitors and customers stopping in to talk. He was very willing to share his knowledge of gun building and shooting his 1/2 stock rifles. I am sorry that I didn't get to know and learn much more from him before he passed away. I took him some curly maple and he roughed out a stock for me, that sadly I never used.I am sorry that e is gone.

chapmans

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »
  Dave,
   Thanks for the info.

Mr. Palmer,
   Do you know if the Mr Kurns you knew was originaly from the Chicago area? The fellow that built this rifle was from that area at least in 1974. I know some of those guys moved away because Dale Kassner moved to Etna Green, IN right across the road from the Beason Range it is a BP single shot range.
   Regards, Steve

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:13 AM »
Thank you for the pictures..... That fix for the frt lock bolt is a good one when you drill 100% dead center into the r/r hole.......

Offline Pete Allan

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 03:48:21 AM »
I have been at Bill Kurns house a number of times when he lived at Crystal Lake Or Lake Crystal ILL. He had a very well set up shop complete with a rifling machine. He was good friends with the Chicago shooters and seldom missed a shoot at Friendship. I got to know him through Don Davis the world famous band leader from the 40s who also shot at Frienship and after he retired opened a Muzzleloading shop in "downtown" Friendship ;D

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
And if I remember correct, if you check the twist in the rifle, I'll bet it's 1-48. Bill liked that in
buffalo matches.
The Pistol Shooter