Author Topic: Relic rifle from the Dresslar collection?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Elnathan

Relic rifle from the Dresslar collection?
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
I was poking around flintriflesmiths site earlier this morning and was reminded of the relic rifle supposedly from an Alabama site that Gary mentions here: http://www.flintriflesmith.com/GunsSince1990/2002_rifle.htm

Does anyone know anything about this find, have pictures they'd be willing to share, or know where I might find further info? Dug artifacts are one category of evidence that doesn't often make it into the books.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Relic rifle from the Dresslar collection?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
Not finding it using that link.
Andover, Vermont

Offline johngross

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
Not finding it using that link.

You need to read the description of the reproduction rifle pictured.

"The engraving on the box door is based on that found on the lid of the remains of a rifle supposedly recovered from a Native American site in Alabama."

"The relief carving was also based on the badly damaged remains of this dug-up rifle. At the time this rifle was built the relic was in Jim Dressler's collection and I had seen, and photographed it, at the Woodstock Virginia KRA show some years earlier. Since 2002 the relic butt stock has been treated to preserve it and more details of the carving were revealed. The rifle appears to have been made in Virginia for the Southern Indian trade and I will be basing some other projects on this unique relic."

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 12:53:45 AM »
Wallace Gusler is the current owner, i believe he got it from Jim about 2003/4

Bruce

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:17:39 PM »
Wallace Gusler had an article in November 2005 Muzzle Blasts with pictures of parts of a rifle dug from a Native American site. Given the closeness of Wallace and Flintriflesmith it seems a decent chance to be the same gun. Pictures of the corroded box are not great but can see some details.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:43:46 AM »
Wallace Gusler had an article in November 2005 Muzzle Blasts with pictures of parts of a rifle dug from a Native American site. Given the closeness of Wallace and Flintriflesmith it seems a decent chance to be the same gun. Pictures of the corroded box are not great but can see some details.

Thanks. I'll try to hunt that down. Might even own that issue already...

And thanks to you too, Vanu.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »
 I like Gary's comment on the pictured rifle: "It was an interesting exercise in completing work in a "workman like manner" without all the 21st-century concern for perfection that often dominates modern rifle building."

Tim C.