Author Topic: Inletting Entry Pipe  (Read 1288 times)

Offline JLayne

Inletting Entry Pipe
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
All,

Another novice question. I am going to begin inletting the rear entry thimble on a Va Rifle precarve this weekend. My question is, looking at the photos below of the way the precarved’s ramrod entry area is currently shaped, does it need to be squared off, top and bottom, before inletting the pipe? Or can I just start inletting in that area as it is currently profiled? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Inletting Entry Pipe
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
Inletting the entry pipe is, for me anyway, one of the dreaded tasks of building. I cut the slope at an angle approximate to the slope of the skirt of the pipe. I also round the forearm before starting. Make sure your tools are razor sharp before starting. Use your ramrod to make sure the bottom of the pipe is deep enough for it to pass through.
There are many here more experienced than I am. Go slow. G'luck.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
If you start with too much wood this could be a week project, ask me how I know.

I hot melt glued the hickory strips alongside ramrod groove to keep me from buggering it up with a chisel slip as I cut away the excess wood.

Finally;

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:23:29 PM »
Yes, shape your forestock before inletting the pipe.  I see it done otherwise by people quite often, but think it's not a good idea.  Get it shaped at least 90% first.  Why inlet through a bunch of extra wood?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
Eric:  brilliant idea with the protective wood!  Thank you.

I'm with the others...round the forestock prior to inletting the pipe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »
Assuming your pipes are all the same design, I inlet one of the front pipes first where I want the rear one located, then inlet the tang of the rear pipe.  This gives you the tab and sides as guides on the way down.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
With a nearly shaped lower forestock, the front end of the entry  pipe's  lug is filed at 90 degrees to the pipe to ensure that the pipe doesn't move forward  by bearing on the slot's front surface. A longer lug is a benefit when starting to inlet.....and as the inletting proceeds, the lug is shortened so it doesn't hit the bbl. 

After inletting a number of Bucks County entry pipes, the "regular" entry pipes approach being  enjoyable. ......Fred