Author Topic: Anyone have this happen  (Read 1789 times)

Offline hortonstn

Anyone have this happen
« on: November 10, 2019, 04:21:58 AM »
Installing a dst-4 I had to cut the blade down it was so hard I couldn't touch it with a file even the trigger bar was hard so I used an abrasive disk  once at the correct shape I fired the trigger three
Times and it broke the blade!,,,,
I've used this trigger over a dozen times and never had a problem
Paul
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:12:26 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Anyone have this happen
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 05:00:54 AM »
Just call Davis. It probably never got tempered,that's why it was so hard.

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Those David triggers are harder than the hubs of you know what.  The only way I have had success softening them was to follow an idea that came from Frank House.  To anneal them he piled up a handful of charcoal briquettes in a metal bowl.  He then laid the triggers on top of the briquette pile and lit the charcoals on fire.  He then let the charcoals burned down and cool completely.  I followed this method and it worked great.  I was able to cut, file and reshape the triggers easily.  Word of caution, do this out of doors.  Burning charcoals emit a lot of co2.
David

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:04 PM »
I've had similar issues with those same triggers.  They are unusually hard - cannot be filed, and are prone to snapping if you try to bend one.  I like
Frank's and David's method of annealing and will add it to my list of techniques learned here, with thanks.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
Those David triggers are harder than the hubs of you know what.  The only way I have had success softening them was to follow an idea that came from Frank House.  To anneal them he piled up a handful of charcoal briquettes in a metal bowl.  He then laid the triggers on top of the briquette pile and lit the charcoals on fire.  He then let the charcoals burned down and cool completely.  I followed this method and it worked great.  I was able to cut, file and reshape the triggers easily.  Word of caution, do this out of doors.  Burning charcoals emit a lot of co2.
David

I used that that same technique on, of all things, a front sight that needed filing to fit a dovetail.  It was a casting and i suppose it was dumped from the mold and cooled quickly??
Mike Lee

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »
I have annealed files quite successfully by throwing them in the woodstove overnight. I'm not sure that that is the best way to keep the grain size to a minimum, but the very slow cool-down period got them softer than I've ever achieved by heating them in the forge and burying them in ashes.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 01:15:14 AM »
David

Just to be sure..that is with out springs.

Tim

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:55 AM »
Thanks
Do these have to be that hard ?