Author Topic: Double Flinter Finally Finished  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Double Flinter Finally Finished
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 04:52:34 PM »
T*O*F,

Lots of doubles had the triggers set up the same, whether right or left handed, as they are more or less directly one behind the other.
It is ( often)  only the triggers themselves  which are  twisted to suit either right or left hands.

I do have one very early French/Spanish double, that has triggers set in this usual manner, and fairly widely spaced, yet it fits the left hand perfectly, and is Most awkward using the right hand!  LOL.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
Lots of doubles had the triggers set up the same, whether right or left handed, as they are more or less directly one behind the other.
Obviously you are not left handed.  All guns came as right handed guns unless bespoke built to be a left handed gun.  Left handedness, also know as sinistro-dextrous, was thought to be the hand of the devil and was discouraged, even up into the 20th century.  Likewise, only a small portion of the population are left handed, and an even smaller portion of those are shooters.  Many of those shooters didn't realize it was a small matter to simply pull the pin and swap the triggers, so they adapted to right handed guns.  Lefties have to do that a lot.  Of the 15 doubles I have left, only 1 is set up as a lefty and it is evident that the left barrel was shot the most due to the erosion around the nipple and hammer, while the right barrel is relatively clean.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Willbarq

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 12:34:30 AM »
If you are inclined, or the customer is, I'd love a video of you shooting this and the loading procedure. What shot you load, powder charge etc. Very cool looking. You-tube is calling ! haha..

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 04:59:48 AM »
T*O*F Dave,

Most trigger slots are a different length, so no way can you merely pull a pin and swap them.  They only fit the slot they are made for.
What did you not understand in my post above, about the triggers Made for the left hand, and Very difficult to manipulate with the right hand?
How does that make me obviously not left handed?
Even if you Could swap triggers, the skew is still wrong.
The triggers skewed for the left hand ,  and cast On, says "Left Hand" very convincingly.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
T*O*F Dave,
Even if you Could swap triggers, the skew is still wrong.
That is a true statement for the triggers I used.  The L & R triggers that I used were cast with a gentle outward skew and the trigger shoes are wider on the outsides of the triggers.  Swapping triggers would of been a PITA and very time consuming.  Due to how close the rear trigger is to the front trigger, these triggers, as received from L & R, actually perform better for a left handed shooter.  In their unmodified design it is really hard for a right handed shooter to pull the front trigger and then naturally slip your finger off and find the rear trigger.  A right handed shooter has to make an effort to snake his finger over to and in front of the rear trigger which takes just enough time and effort to potentially miss your second shot.  At least that was the case for me and I don't have giant meat hooks for hands.       

Funny story about this build is that when I was requested to build this shotgun the only instructions I received was that it needed to be 20 gauge.  As I was building the gun, friends would come by the shop and when they saw the shotgun would ask if I was putting cast off in the stock.  I would explain that I normally do not use cast off in a buttstock narrower than 1 1/2".   I never contacted the customer during the build until the gun was in the white and ready to see how it fit him.  I wish I could of seen the look on my face when he shouldered the gun on his left shoulder.  I told him I was glad I did not put cast off in the stock like everybody had asked me about since he was left handed.  The only alternation I made was a request to shorten the length of pull so I had to re-inlet the buttplate.

David

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »
Very good David!

The man should have said he was left-handed.  It could have been bad....

It's as well the chap didn't want the buttstock Lengthening!  LOL.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »
Please help the ignorant! Is the “skew” you speak of, the right or left position of the front and rear trigger on a double?

What would you call, placing a single trigger to the left or right of center for the convenience of a left-handed or right handed shooter?

Lastly what would you call angling the shoe of a single trigger, canting it to right or left? Or is this something only I do?
Andover, Vermont