Author Topic: Question on cleaning barrel out on the range  (Read 3159 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Question on cleaning barrel out on the range
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:55:28 AM »
Plan on taking my Kibler Colonial .54 out for the first time to shoot at a friends  ranch land.
I was wondering what would be the best to clean the barrel out on the range before I bring it home that night for a through cleaning.
Is it even necessary.
Also I imagine I will need to swab the barrel after every 3-4 shots.
What would be best to used for that?
Thanks

Offline snapper

Re: Question on cleaning barrel out on the range
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »
While "out on the range" cleaning I like to do that with a cold beer.   That is the best way to do it.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:15:41 AM »
Are you shooting it today and then again tomorrow?  IF so then in low humidity conditions, you might not want to do much at all.

I do not swab between shots for round balls.   My patch is wet enough that it cleans as I load.

I tend to only like to clean it once.   It might be out on the range, but I clean it well there, or back at the cabin, house whatever.

If you want you can do a couple of damp patches and then when you get to the ranch house, do the through cleaning.

Back at the ranch house, whiskey is good for cleaning rifles.

It all gets down to personal preference and how OCD you are or are not.  Not rocket science, you will figure out what works well for you.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:52:34 AM »
On my Kibler I just run a wet patch down the barrel at the range followed by a couple of dry patches then repeat one more time when I am done for the day. That should hold you until you get home. If you are shooting again tomorrow and it is not raining or high humidity I would just hold off and clean it the next day unless you have shot it a lot. I have never found a need to swab or clean between shots unless I am going to be shooting more than 30-50 shots then yea wipe it out.
If this is your first Kibler you are going to be very pleasantly surprised on how well it shoots "right out of the box' so to speak. Now mine was completely built and finished by Jim so I am spoiled.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:02:36 AM »
Are you shooting it today and then again tomorrow?  IF so then in low humidity conditions, you might not want to do much at all.

I do not swab between shots for round balls.   My patch is wet enough that it cleans as I load.

I tend to only like to clean it once.   It might be out on the range, but I clean it well there, or back at the cabin, house whatever.

If you want you can do a couple of damp patches and then when you get to the ranch house, do the through cleaning.

It all gets down to personal preference and how OCD you are or are not.  Not rocket science, you will figure out what works well for you.

Fleener
Hopefully you’re using cheap whiskey and not the stuff made famous in my neck of the woods.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:14:13 AM »
I have been shooting my Kibler Colonial .54 almost every week and I shoot it 20-30 times with out swabbing between shots. It has been a remarkably good shooter.   When I am done shooting I just pour some water down the barrel (flashole plugged of course) and let it set while I clean up and load my stuff.  Then dump it and run a few patches through it.  Then when I get home I do the final cleaning.   Water down the barrel and 10 year aged McKenna down the hatch..... Stoner, I hope my choice meets with your approval as you guys are the experts. I only know about McKenna cuz my daughter and son-in-law own a liquor store and I asked them to bring me some good sippin stuff and they sure did.   8)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:45:06 AM »

Fleener
Hopefully you’re using cheap whiskey and not the stuff made famous in my neck of the woods.

Maybe he's using it internally.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:50:34 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
Depends on where I am. If I am Out west I do a thorough cleaning at the range. It allows time for BS without fear of dry balling. If I am going to shoot it the next day and the humidity is low. I don't do anything, why introduce moisture into a dry bore??
If I'm back east and the humidity is very high I do a cursory cleaning job specially on the outside of the rifle. Areas around the lock tend to start rusting rather quick when humidity is 95% and higher. When I get home I do a thorough cleaning.
This has worked for me for 20 years. On all calibers regardless on who made the barrels.
I do my drinking after I am finished cleaning, so I can devote my full attention to my spirits.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice, y'all.
Looking forward to my first shoot with this rifle.
Just a one day shoot, so a few wet patches followed by a dry patch.
Will do my major clean out at home a few hours later.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
sound reasoning Kilted Cowboy.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »
I've never cleaned, nor wiped a bore while at the range. Always clean them at home, before bed (unless I forget).
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Snapper...I do not swab between shots for round balls.   My patch is wet enough that it cleans as I load.

Yup.  All I ever shot with was a patch lubed with cleaning fluid, any season, and on trail walks I run a wet and then a dry patch down to the breech to unfowl that last part behind where the ball sits.

The first session on the range with a new rifle is always the uncertain one anyway.  Good luck.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »
I bring my cleaning gear to the range, and always clean there.  No conflict with the bride about messes and smells.  The only thing I do at home is wiping out the WD-40 from the bore the next day, and applying the bore preservative.  I always clean right after I finish shooting.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 03:50:49 AM »
I bring my cleaning gear to the range, and always clean there.  No conflict with the bride about messes and smells.  The only thing I do at home is wiping out the WD-40 from the bore the next day, and applying the bore preservative.  I always clean right after I finish shooting.  God Bless,   Marc
I only do that at rendezvous, but still clean them back in camp. I've never seen a reason to clean a gun at the range
but whatever floats your stick is just fine with me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »
Clean the bore as previously stated. Then I wipe down the lock and the barrel by the lock.  That holds me until I get home for final cleaning g.

Jim Evans

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 12:44:00 AM »
Kilted Cowboy
We need a Range report on how the Kibler preform for you.

Stony

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
I like to use a windex/Murphy's oil soap mix to lube my patches at the range, and when I am done for the day, I run some wet patches down the bore for a preliminary cleanup. About 5 minutes doing some cleanup at the range while everything is still pretty fresh and soft makes the final cleanup a lot easier and better for me later.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 04:29:23 PM »
Once my gun is sighted in I never go to a range. All my practice is in the National Forest. Kind of my own version of a woods walk.

When the walk is done i'll run a spit patch and a dry patch. Then do a proper cleaning when I get home.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
I like to use a hank of tow, moistened with the mouth’s moisture, and wrapped aboutna gun worm. This is traditional, and works very well to remove the fouling.