Author Topic: West TN auction find  (Read 2060 times)

Offline RobertS

West TN auction find
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
I picked this up at an auction and want to get input on what it might be. Can't quite make out the engraving on the barrel but looks like it could be S Horton or Heston or even Heaton. I've been unable to locate anything close. It's 52 inches overall and barrel length is 36 inches and width is 1.25" at the breech and 1.15" at muzzle. About 45 caliber and fittings are mostly German silver. Back action lock is has a brass plate in front of it that is a little different and the buttplate has 4 screws, 2 in the top and 2 in the curve.  It weighs 14 pounds no it's no lightweight. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

imghost

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:30:19 AM by RobertS »

Offline cshirsch

Re: West TN auction find
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »
Samuel J. Heston, Reading PA 1865-1870. Worthington IN, 1882-1885 

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:51 AM »
I'm glad to see this old timer on this forum.  I think these old plains rifles by lesser known makers don't always get the respect they deserve.  This one is a veteran, and it must have been treasured by an original owner.  All of those repairs represent efforts to keep it in service.  That wear plate under the forearm suggests it spent some time on horseback, lying across the pommel of some old plainsman's saddle.

The brass plate ahead of the lock, under the drum, is interesting.  I saw photos of another old plains rifle that had a filling of poured lead in the same place, and probably for the same purpose.

Those old boys sure did like heavy barrels. 

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline RobertS

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
Thank you both for your responses! 

Offline Cajun72

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 03:47:03 AM »
Cool plains rifle with scars, very nice find.

Offline Jerry Girard

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:19 AM »
Hello All,
I follow this site as I collect antique firearms, mostly form the state of Maine. I regularly have a table at the Allentown Forks of the Delaware and usually try to do a display. On October 20, 2019 my display was titled "2 Shot Superimposed Load Lock Mechanisms". In the attached photo, the bottom rifle is a Samuel J. Heston 2 shot superimposed load rifle: 38 caliber, OAL: 50 &1/2 inches and a 35 inch barrel signed in script"S. J. Heston". The lock is marked "Moore, Henszley & Co.", Philadelphia, Pennsylvania lock makers.
Samuel J. Heston, Reading, PA: Gunsmith (1865 – 1870 and Worthington, Indiana from 1882 to 1885).
The top two rifles were made by Hiram. L. Leonard, Bangor, Maine  and the third one down is a patented (Ohio 1855) "Daniel B Neal" fowler.
Jerry