Author Topic: Caster Recommendations?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline 120RIR

Caster Recommendations?
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
I'm looking for a good caster who will take on sporadic and typically very small orders in silver, gold, brass, etc. for my occasional restoration and fabrication projects.  I'm not a big production guy - small customer only.  For 30+ years I used Cranston Casting but the owner retired and sent me to C.A. Brown (also in Cranston, Rhode Island) but now they too seem to be closed.  Can anyone help?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Caster Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
If you need sand casting of brass let me know.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:41 PM »
I've seen some of Mike's castings, and he is top notch!
Mike, casting silver is not much different from casting brass, just use  a bit more flux.  It REALLY transmits heat fast!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »
Oh, I thought you wanted MY opinion! Sorry. Coincidentally, I designed automated foundry machinery for 24 years. Most, if not all of the small manual pouring foundries were forced to modernize or go out of business due to increasing costs of fulfilling demands from the EPA. My company was bought and merged with Sintokogio from Japan in the 90s. I was sent to Japan to study there methods. They had one prefecture (what we would call a county) dedicated to nothing but foundries, mile after mile after mile of factories doing iron, brass, alum. & etc! You talk about POLUTION! The sky of Los Angelous looks  pure in comparison! I understand China and Russia are the same way. Other countries are not doing there part to clean up our planet like we are.
When I went into a foundry for new equipment start-up and training, they would ask if that was my real name. LOL

Tom Caster
Tom C.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »
I opened this thread thinking someone wanted a recommendation on Tom Caster...........
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline 45-110

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:19:30 PM »
I too would like to find a U.S. foundry, casting operation, that would take on small part projects. A place that could do sand molds and pour brass and or steel from my patterns.
kw

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
Ha!  I'm sure plenty of folks could provide good recommendations for Mr. Caster.

I'm primarily looking for investment casting - jewelry quality although I'll keep Mr. Brooks in mind for sand-casting brass.   :)