Author Topic: Squirrel rifle calibers  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Squirrel rifle calibers
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »
Tilefish, it might be pricey, and there is a waiting list, but Mike Brooks on this forum consistently turns out firearms that are outstanding, and he generally gives the customer exactly what is asked, plus a good bit more.

If I didn't enjoy building so much, I would commission a squirrel rifle with him.  Or a fowler.
Thanks for the plug. I'm three years behind and no longer taking orders. I do put out several spec guns per year that are available.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »
While that .69 of Daryl's might stop a charging squirrel in its tracks, I usually stop the charging rodent by cutting up its credit card.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »
Daryl, When you shoot squirrels, what do you lube them with? How far do they go? ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 10:50:22 PM »
Not sure about Daryl, him being a Canuck and all, but mine are lubed with a bit of Crisco, and they travel about 6' from the stove to the table.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 01:46:50 AM »
I just started squirrel hunting with a 32 cal and really like the accuracy of it. I have a 36 also and need a little more load development before I hunt with it. I have a 32 Cherokee barrel that I was trying to sell that had a small rough patch right at the breech and decided to have it rebored to 40 cal since no one wanted it and it was an extra barrel. When I am done I will have a Cherokee with 32,36,40 and 45 cal barrels and when I get loads worked up plan on using all of them for small game. Long story short if its accurate enough for head shots its a squirrel gun.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »
Welcome, Bassdog1.  I'm a fan of both the .32 and .36.  As far as small game is concerned I consider them equal.  The .36, however, is a better choice if varmints are on the menu.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 01:05:55 AM »
.36 is also better than .32, if there is a trail walk, gong shoot in the list of possibilities.

That is where I find the .36 calibre to be superior to the .32. It's all about ball weight.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 01:18:33 AM »
I agree if shooting very far or competing a 36 or bigger would definitely get the nod. Really excited to get the 32 back from Bobby Hoyt  when it is re-bored to 40 cal. The 36 Cherokees are new old stock barrels that I was able to track down and I am really excited to get them all in the field this winter during some extended time off from work and try some squirrel and rabbit hunting with them.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 02:57:18 AM »
I know The "Muskrat" is in the minority (not unusual) but I still favor the.40 caliber. Yea a little big for squirrels but just fine for rabbits, coyotes, and in my state deer.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Daryl said:
       “The only muzzleloading rifle I have used on squirrels, is my .69. :o
        Of course,  a 2 bore might be better yet.”

Yes Daryl, but we’re talking about shooting AT squirrels, not shooting OUT squirrels   ;D

Johnny
(Just wondering if they wear helmets when they get shot out of the muzzle)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
I would use a 58 caliber with #6 shot for squirrels and then reload with 100 grains
of Swiss 3fg and a patched ball for bear assuming the seasons are concurrent.
The 69 makes sense in Canada because of wooly mammoths roaming the Northern Tier. ;D

Bob Roller

Anonymous

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
I’m with the 32 caliber crowd when going after squirrels or bunnies. With 12 grains of fff Swiss under a swaged 1-1/2 buckshot, I’m about an inch above point of aim (center of squirrel head with chin hold) at 25 yards and about an inch low 50 yards.  I do use a felt wad between powder and patched ball, as I used a fairly wet patch, that if I let sit for any length of time on the light 12 grain powder charge will foul it a bit and change POI.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
I’m with the 32 caliber crowd when going after squirrels or bunnies. With 12 grains of fff Swiss under a swaged 1-1/2 buckshot, I’m about an inch above point of aim (center of squirrel head with chin hold) at 25 yards and about an inch low 50 yards.  I do use a felt wad between powder and patched ball, as I used a fairly wet patch, that if I let sit for any length of time on the light 12 grain powder charge will foul it a bit and change POI.

Where do you buy 1 1/2 buck shot that is pure lead? I found hardened but assume swayed would be soft lead???
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »
Starting probably 55 years ago I starting casting everything I shot and still do.  Both the .32 and .36 really stretch out a pound of lead as well as a pound of powder.  One  of the experiences that endeared the .36 to me happened some years back.  A friend and I were shooting at plastic soda bottles at around 80 yards or a bit more.  With 20 grains of 3F and a .350" prb it was no trouble hitting hitting them even with the drop.  Aiming at the middle resulted in a hit near the bottom; aiming at the top put holes in the middle.  Of course it had a lot to do with my little .36 SMR which is very accurate.

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 12:56:41 AM »
Starting probably 55 years ago I starting casting everything I shot and still do.  Both the .32 and .36 really stretch out a pound of lead as well as a pound of powder.  One  of the experiences that endeared the .36 to me happened some years back.  A friend and I were shooting at plastic soda bottles at around 80 yards or a bit more.  With 20 grains of 3F and a .350" prb it was no trouble hitting hitting them even with the drop.  Aiming at the middle resulted in a hit near the bottom; aiming at the top put holes in the middle.  Of course it had a lot to do with my little .36 SMR which is very accurate.

That is a beautiful rifle Hanshi whats the barrel length on that squirrel killer
Chad

Anonymous

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 02:45:37 AM »
Where do you buy 1 1/2 buck shot that is pure lead? I found hardened but assume swayed would be soft lead???
Dennis
I use 1-1/2 buckshot from Ballistic Products (https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/) with great success. They say it is hardened, but find I can mark it with my thumbnail. Using my ‘precision’ Lee Hardness Tester, the Brinell Hardness measures 6.3/6.4, at least in the lot I have.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 03:24:24 AM »
Dennis
I use 1-1/2 buckshot from Ballistic Products (https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/) with great success. They say it is hardened, but find I can mark it with my thumbnail. Using my ‘precision’ Lee Hardness Tester, the Brinell Hardness measures 6.3/6.4, at least in the lot I have.

That's the one I found. Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Tilefish, that little rifle has a 38" X 3/4" barrel.  It loads and shoots great with the .350" ball and canvas or mattress ticking patch lubed with either Hoppes or mink oil.  It's iron mounted.  Here's a better view.

But just to show the .40 is no slouch and that I DO like the caliber.

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »
Nice rifle and nice target Hanshi I need to find me a Flinter.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 03:49:46 AM »
Spot-on Bassdog1, you simply cannot shoot groups like that, with a cap gun.
{but, if you do, the gun likely thought it was a flinter, or wanted to be one}
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
That does it gonna need to start working some serious overtime :) :)

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2019, 09:24:00 PM »
Annd...a flintlock will get you through the Pearly Gates; a cap gun will not.  8)

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »
I would vote for the .40cal.
Shot many squirrels with one. Loaded 18grns. Goex3F and regulated the sights dead on at 30yrds.
It was a flint originally but was bought and the owner changed it to a caplock.
I am going to change it back to flint.

Big John
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline alacran

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »
I remember why I built my first flintlock rifle. I had been shooting muzzleloaders since the 70s. Not very seriously, mostly I shot them for hunting.
 In the 90s I started shooting with a local club. I got serious trying to decipher the vagaries of muzzleloading. I had a TC with a Green Mountain .50 it was a cap lock. Within a short time I became one of the top shooters in the club with this rifle.
 There was a fellow in the club a, a good friend and a very good shooter. Every time I would best him, he would say "Yeah but you beat me with a cap lock". I had shot one of his flintlocks and didn't see any magic or difficulty in shooting one.
However I got tired of him telling me I beat him with a cap lock. Mind you he was a very good shot and our scores were always very close.
Finally I had had enough. I built me a .45 half stocked SMR. I worked up a load for it and was confident with it.
The first match I shot with it I bested my friend, and it wasn't close. So I asked him, "Do you like it better when I beat you with a flintlock.?"
The point is I shoot cap locks and flint locks I don't find one superior to the other, neither is going to get me through the pearly gates, and the only groups that count are those that are shot offhand.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
The first match I shot with it I bested my friend, and it wasn't close. So I asked him, "Do you like it better when I beat you with a flintlock.?"
The point is I shoot cap locks and flint locks I don't find one superior to the other, neither is going to get me through the pearly gates, and the only groups that count are those that are shot offhand.

Swap rifles with him and outshoot him.  No, wait.  Only if he instigates it.  No reason to alienate a pal (unless he just won't hush).  ;D 
Hold to the Wind