Author Topic: Just finished Bedford County  (Read 1799 times)

Offline L. Akers

Just finished Bedford County
« on: November 13, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
This is not a copy of any rifle but my version "within the school".  Built from a plank around a 44", .40 cal Douglas barrel and an L&R Durs Egg lock that I slimmed down a bit and elongated the tail.  Buttplate and trigger guard were purchased castings--everything else I made.  Finish is Dangler dark brown stain rubbed out and topped with LMF maple stain finished with tung oil.  Critiques would be very welcome.

image upload

Online Craig Wilcox

Re: Just finished Bedford County
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
Nice work, Mr. Akers!  And a (to me) most unusual side plate.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:34:19 PM »
Nice and clean. I’d like to see a more characteristic Bedford lock to really seal the deal but understand the challenges there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
Wow!  Great work.  I think it's a beautiful piece of gun building.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:12:41 AM »
That patchbox is beautiful!

Nice job!

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 05:49:05 AM »
My thoughts exactly, Mike. The silver eagle medallion also very nicely done and inlet.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
Thank you fellas for the kind remarks.  Rich, I'm not sure what you are picturing as a more "characteristic" lock.  In researching this build I found that locks of the general style I used were used more than any other style by a margin of 2 to 1 on FLINTLOCK Bedfords.  From my research I am convinced that period makers were using off the shelf english locks.  I am comfortable with my choice of lock as being very characteristic and appropriate for a flint Bedford.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:24:40 AM by L. Akers »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »
Makes sense. I was thinking of the rat tail percussion locks. I have seen so few Bedford flintlock rifles that I lacked any perspective.
Andover, Vermont

Offline okieboy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:39 PM »
 I personally like that you didn't use a rat-tail lock as there are plenty of Bedfords (including percussion) that didn't use them: and careful study reveals that most rat-tail flintlocks were in fact "reconverted". More experienced collectors welcome to weigh in on this statement.
 The photos that you provided do not show very well how much drop the stock has nor the comb design very clearly to my old eyes. Did you design your own stock pattern or base it on an example? Curious because, like locks, not all Bedford stocks follow the hockey-stick pattern.
 I like your gun, admire your finish and will be interested to hear about shooting it.
Okieboy

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 02:41:35 AM »
okieboy, if you click on the photos you can enlarge them.  The photo of the lock (second picture) when enlarged is full size.  You can see the comb/wrist junction.  The comb rises about 3/32" above the wrist and is straight to the butt.  Drop at the comb is about 1-1/8" and drop at the heel is about 2-1/4".  I designed my own stock based on the knowledge that Bedford rifles had very low combs and a triangular butt shape.  Flint Bedford stocks (at least those I found) had reasonable, shootable drops.

I will also be interested to hear about shooting it!  I posted the original post on Wed. morning and sold the gun that afternoon.  It went to a local guy so I will get to shoot it at some point.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:54:47 AM by L. Akers »

Willbarq

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 08:48:12 AM »
So it's a straight barrel then? 

Offline Goo

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »
I like the area around the lock panel it looks like what I was taught to to be thought of as good architecture.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.