Author Topic: Bradford pear  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Dan Herda

Bradford pear
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
Are there any known flintlock pistols that used bradford pear as the stockwood ( or rifles)?
Tia,Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bradford pear
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
Are there any known flintlock pistols that used bradford pear as the stockwood ( or rifles)?
Tia,Dan
You'll see some Euro guns stocked in fruit woods.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
No original guns unless they are Japanese or Chinese.  This cultivar was introduced into this country in the 1960s. It’s native to the Far East. I wish that whoever brought that plant here would have left it over there. What a terrible and invasive species.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
I've used a couple of trees I believe were bradford pear.  Makes a super nice stock.  Hard, dense, fine grained, has a nice color and often has some figure.  In fact, I still have a handful of blanks that are pear, probably bradford.

Jim

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
Properties and discussion by wood workers .

http://www.wood-database.com/pear/

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:05:18 PM »
Forget it.  First off, Bradford pear is NOT a fruitwood.  I had the same idea when a storm took one of mine down.  While trying to slab it off, it rendered my bandsaw blade unusable.  It coated it with some kind of sticky substance that I was unable to remove, trying all kinds of different solvents.  The blade would no longer cut and I scrapped it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline G_T

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 01:29:05 AM »
I've got a nice piece of Pear I got from Jim that will eventually be used in a mountain rifle, when I get around to it. Dense, hard, etc. Curl looks like the not-so-tight curl you'll get sometimes from Maple.

I've worked with lots of woods. Some are just a mess when green. Then they can be fine once they get a bit of age. Sometimes a tree grows in a silica rich location and picks it up. That'll destroy a blade! I had a 2" thick piece of a tropical hardwood (Zircote) that rounded the teeth on a new bandsaw blade to where it wouldn't cut, in 4" of cut. That's inches, not feet! Sometimes you just get unlucky. I might as well have been sawing a rock.

I prefer to keep wood around for a number of years before I make something from it. I think I've got Osage and Yew from 20+ years in my pile, for traditional bows. And lots of other species. I like wood to have some age before I work it. Let it get a bit more stable... It's a habit from making traditional bows.

Gerald