Author Topic: Amount of powder to prime pan with.  (Read 2223 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Amount of powder to prime pan with.
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »
Getting ready to shoot my flintlock for the first time.
Checked the archives and could not find an answer to my question
I plan on using FFF for my main charge and my primer.
I know how much powder to use for the main, but how much do you use in the pan?

Offline Marcruger

Re: Amount of powder to prime pan with.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
Don’t stress about it. Start with enough to half fill your pan. You’ll get a feel for it. Sort of like cooking biscuits. “A pinch of this....”
If you have some 4f it’ll work faster in the pan. NullB is even faster yet. Check out Pletch’s high speed photography pan powder test.
Hope this helps. God Bless, Marc

Offline kudu

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »
Seems like you might have Friend/Mentor but that's not  essential.

So just fill the pan- if you have some type of Pan charger. (the ones with the spring type "spout' usually dispense about 3 grains or so if they are clean and working right)

I really like a small "Priming horn" and use 4f powder FOR THE PAN ONLY NOT LOADING THE GUN!!

I don't want to worry you, but if you get a Charger that's Brass (with a screw on  spring tip) I would like you to drill a small 1/8 hole thru the back of the body (right thru the Knob that you use to put a string thru,  and plug it with a small wood Stick or some  silicone glue.

WHY ???  Im glad you asked.  IF--- The pan Charger/Primer ever gets a spark and ignite's there is no place for the pressure to go and you'll loose some body parts most likely your hand.

SO if you have the hole the glue/plug will relive Pressure,  and you will mostly will just have a exciting experience and not a Tragedy.

Have Fun
Muzzleloading  Guns  really aren't Dangerous just be deliberate and  thoughtful you'll be fine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 12:10:43 AM »
When shooting in controlled conditions such as at the range I fill the pan about 1/3 full (+ or -).  In the woods I just dump 'er in and let 'er rip.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:25 AM »
Not sure why I bother to respond after Hanshi has. I should just say "ditto". I do like 4F (I use Goex) over 3F and prefer a flat priming horn. I also have an antler small priming horn with a spring loaded dispenser on it that works well also. Somewhere around half full works fine but would use no more. In my squirrel rifle I find it somewhat too easy to overfill from my main horn so I use a priming horn.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:35:34 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 12:36:04 AM »
THANKS Y'ALL

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »
I use a full pan, on all 3 of my flinters. I like the gun to go off every time the pan does.
No flashes in the pan - if the gun is loaded. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
I dump some powder into the pan, shake it level/off excess, close pan. Letter rip Tater Chip.
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »
You make some really cool stuff, Muskrat.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 03:18:24 AM »
I've tried all amounts of prime in my flintlocks to get what I now use. I like a push priming tool that dispenses about 3 grains. I use one push most of the time, this just covers the bottom of the pan. If it don't quite cover it I'll use a partial push to finish covering the pan. That amount right there  seems to be the fastest amount in my rifles. With a full pan I can just detect slower ignition.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
American horses of Arabian descent.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 04:45:55 AM »
I like those little push valve primers too but on one of my locks the frizzen does not open up or flop over enough so I have to give that one about three short jabs to get the right amount.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:11:54 PM »
Betwen MuskratMike and Marcruger's posts you can't miss.  Neat stuff and good advice.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »
The little pan primers work best with 4f.  3fg tends to clog the tiny valve.  Most people can't tell the difference between 3f, 4f, or swiss bull B.  It takes high speed photography to measure.  Use what you have in the main horn .