Author Topic: Kudos for a great ramrod maker....Dan Putz!  (Read 2995 times)

Offline DBoone

Kudos for a great ramrod maker....Dan Putz!
« on: November 14, 2019, 03:13:24 AM »
Dennis and the moderators?????  Nail me if I'm doing something wrong or in the wrong place....but I just want to give a shout-out to my fellow gunmakers..... and a totally shameless plug for my friend and ramrod supplier.......Dan Putz of Missouri. 

A while back Dan bought out the ramrod business of Steve Bailey.  For quite a while I got all of my rods from Steve and he made some of the very best!  Now Dan is continuing this business with great, genuine pignut hickory ramrods and excellent service!

Dan is also an arrow shaft supplier and his work is awesome!  He knows wood and can read grain to produce superior strength and straightness.  Being an arrow shaft maker demands it.

I bought several dozen rods from Dan with my last order and just recently used the last one and have now re-ordered.  Every one of those rods made a great ramrod, and all of them were hand tapered as I made the gun.  They were all very straight-grained and I felt like I could almost bend them double!  A really good hickory rod will also straighten much easier, when necessary.

As everyone knows there are a lot of junky ramrod blanks out there and price is always a factor.  It's true that you get what you pay for and I will gladly pay Dan's fair price for high quality every day of the week!  I've had no "throw aways" from Dan!!  He probably culls better rods than many of our long-time suppliers are now selling!  All parts suppliers should be selling Dan Putz ramrods!

I understand Dan will be adding gunstock blanks to his business.  He lives close to Chuck Edwards and they talk about the gun business.  Obviously, Chuck also knows a ton about wood and what makes a great stock blank!!  Watch for this, hopefully in the near future.

Quality barrels $200.00 - 300.00/up.....locks $200.00 and up.......stock blanks 150.00 to 1000.00/up for the finest.........$3.00 won't get you much of a ramrod any more.....

Without a good, dependable ramrod/loading rod, a muzzleloading gun is useless.

Bottom line?.....Dan's the Man for hickory ramrods! 

Dan Putz  573-768-6920      (and Dan also sells his ramrods and other products on ebay....)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Kudos for a great ramrod maker....Dan Putz!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Don,
Nothing wrong with telling our members about a good source for building supplies. Glad to hear about Dan. We would welcome him as a member here and after meeting our for sale requirements he is welcome to offer his wares for sale on ALR. We are here to help advance the ML culture.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Id second the praise for Dan. Have several from him and they are the best you will find with regards to grain

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
I haven't placed any orders yet, but had already found Danny and plan to get a stock of rod blanks from him when he has what I want (and that envelope is funded).

Hold to the Wind

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
Best ramrod's, bar none!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Maven

Paul W. Brasky

Offline msellers

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
Thanks for posting his contact info, I was searching for it.
Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
Might try his arrow blanks. Hickory arrows should really last.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
...and penetrate!

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:59:11 PM »
I've gotten a couple of orders from him via eBay - it would be great if he was able to take orders through his own site or something, but nevertheless everything I ordered was shipped super quickly, he'll mix and match diameters and every last one of them is fantastic quality.  And for the price, splitting them out myself just isn't worth it.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
how do you find him on ebay?

Offline msellers

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:40 PM »
how do you find him on ebay?
5 post up is a link to him on ebay.
Mike

Dan putz

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 10:27:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. I have been a member of the alr forum for a while but really didnt know what I could or could not post. While I do not have website. You can find me on ebay or fb. Under putz wood blanks. Or as don stated earlier you can text or call 573 768 6920. Thank you everyone!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 01:49:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. I have been a member of the alr forum for a while but really didnt know what I could or could not post. While I do not have website. You can find me on ebay or fb. Under putz wood blanks. Or as don stated earlier you can text or call 573 768 6920. Thank you everyone!

Welcome Dan, you have to be a member for 30 days but then you can write up an ad and post it here. Then we can put it in:  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=14.0 
Just in time, I could use a couple dozen mixed.

Tim C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 02:10:59 AM »

Welcome Dan, you have to be a member for 30 days but then you can write up an ad and post it here. Then we can put it in:  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=14.0 

Tim C.

Tim,
He has been a member since Sept 2018 but just made his first post so he is eligible for Members Services/Products right now.

Dan if you make up a sheet with your products/prices on it I will be glad to post the for you in our members services section. No fees to eat into profits here  ;)
You also are welcome to post in the For Sale forum. We do require everything to be priced but again no fees here.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:14:25 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Dan putz

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 02:43:39 AM »
Thanks, Tim and Dennis.
 No sheet necessary as far as I see as for now.
Only product I have for now for muzzleloaders are the ramrods.
Some may be interested in hickory arrows.
Later after a couple years drying I will be having stock blanks.
Thanks to all!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »

Tim C.

He has been a member since Sept 2018 but just made his first post so he is eligible for Members Services/Products right now.

Dan if you make up a sheet with your products/prices on it I will be glad to post the for you in our members services section. No fees to eat into profits here  ;)
You also are welcome to post in the For Sale forum. We do require everything to be priced but again no fees here.
Dennis

Missed that, Thanks, TC