Author Topic: Authentic shooting bag makers  (Read 5938 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Authentic shooting bag makers
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
I'm trying to find maker of an authentic, colonial era , ( maybe eastern longhunter) shooting bag. 
So far, I don't see much on the net.  Ken Scott (way high end).  I'd love to have one, but just can't afford right now.

Do any of you know of any additional makers with websites, so I can look at their wares??

Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Collector

Re: Authentic shooting bag makers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
Easily done - Go to the Contemporary Longrifle Association web site and look under 'Contemporary for Sale' and 'Artisans.'   Good luck!

http://www.longrifle.ws/

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
Here's a few I'd recommend and I think all are good value.   And there are other folks who post on here who I don't mean to exclude, but I am not familiar with their work .

Some of these I have had bags by, others just seen their work, but they are all good. -

Tim Albert (see his posts on here, and also see some of his work on the CLA site and the blog spot.  (His work is super and his bags "sets" are a real steal considering all that he makes and assembles to go with them.)

Frank Barker (posts on here some times)

Clay Smith

The Sibleys (they have had some really great bags on the CLA site recently for sale).

Joe Mills (does aged looking bags)

Ernie Boyd

Cal Tanner

For the ones that don't have websites you can find contact info and examples of their work on the CLA site under "artisans".

Good luck

Guy

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:32:37 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
All of the above are somewhat on the high end, don't make cheap stuff, but it's also good stuff.....I guess you get what
you pay for.    We have a new guy locally who is doing some pretty nice stuff, in the $100 dollar range, name is Eric Fleisher from Newport, Pa.  I think he has a website, and has posted a lot of pictures for me.   I also recently bought a
real nice bag from Ed Wilde, who I think lives out in Missouri.  It is in the higher end, but has some beautiful stitching and
detail work that is outstanding, beautiful bag.........Don

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
Dane, here's another site to investigate for a gentlemen named Frank Willis that makes some great bags.  http://www.bagsandhorns.com/index.html

You might want to peruse the For Sale/Wanted section of this forum and check out what has been for sale/sole by some of the craftsmen have been  doing.  A couple of names pop out like Dave Rase, LtFrank, Eric Fleisher and a couple of others that I can't recall at the moment. 

Here's a couple more sites of guys that were mentioned earlier by Guy.
http://www.thehuntingpouch.com/photoblog/
http://www.claysmithguns.com/bags1.htm

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline rallen

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »
Gary mentioned Frank Willis.  He's a great guy to talk to, but he too likes authentic 18th century bags (as far as anyone can tell. Leather doesn't survive like horn). His web site does justice to his art and skill, but his passion is to copy period examples and you really need to talk to him about authentic construction methods.  He has original examples that he would love to copy and satisfaction is guaranteed.  You don't like the straps, or they don't look right on you, he will redo it. I would suggest looking up any of those artists work on the comtemporary makers blog. Clay Smith's work is also outstanding and you will find examples on the contemporary makers blog as well.
Ryan

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
Call Jim Webb Hillsville VA  276 728 7772 I am sure he can fix you up with exactly what you are looking for.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:23:30 PM »
Thanks fellows for your vote of confidence. Small Patch, if you want to contact me, here is my email address.     fbarkerjr@yahoo.com    I haven't offered anything on the CLA site for awhile because I am trying to get some stock ahead for the show in August...........Frank

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »
Check with jasontn, a member on the site.  He makes a fine bag, and can build one to your spec's.  I have three or four of his.  Very reasonable.  Both Leatherbelly, and myself had one done in a mountain style for our Tennessee's.  Very reasonable prices.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:16:04 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all the response, both on the board, and off line.

Now I'm in the process of digesting all the information, and deciding what it is I REALLY want in a bag.  It seems my original ideas have changed considerably, after seeing all the different ideas and styles in bags.  I want to do this right!!

Thanks again
In His grip,

Dane

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
Dane,  hope you have seen Eric's two new pouches just put on the Accouterments section.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Willy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
You mentioned "colonial era".Most commonly bags offered are later,19th century bags.Check with Clay Smith:
http://www.claysmithguns.com/bags1.htm
                 Regards,
                            Will