Author Topic: A different kind of knife  (Read 1375 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
A different kind of knife
« on: November 14, 2019, 03:34:45 PM »
So, it’s common knowledge that Scandinavians settled here in Pennsylvania during the 17th and 18th centuries.  Evidently my state was a wide open, tolerant colony, letting just about anybody by colonial standards  in here;  Quakers, Anabaptists ( some of whom became the Amish and Mennonites)  Different Germans with different sects and the Scandinavians.  Compared to  Congregationalist  New England or Catholic Maryland, Pennsylvania Colonial Officials practiced diversity before it was a PC term.
I’ve started poking around to find out where and if any of them served in the French War, especially up to the Northern Front.  As part of this process I backed into examining the so called Puukko and Leuku Knives coming out of Scandinavia.  There are more than enough videos on YouTube regarding their construction; too many, in fact because the individual styling of these knives starts to splay out and get more diverse than the original knives dictated.
Naturally I had to make one or two,

They’ll be for an upcoming bag that will belong to this rifle;

One will go in the bag as a patch knife and the other will go behind the bag.  I’m not sure how “Puukko” or “Leuku” they are, so I’ll call them …  “ cukoo”.   What d’ya think?

Offline Elnathan

Re: A different kind of knife
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »
I've never run across any mention of Scandinavians moving here between the loss of New Sweden in the 17th century and the mid-19th centuries. I'd be interested to see the sources on that.

The Finns of New Sweden (Finland was part of the Swedish Empire at the time, and a lot of "Swedish" colonists of the 17th century were Finns, I believe, and ended up here because the Finns are the rednecks of Scandinavia) contributed the log cabin mode of construction to American culture and may have retained a distinct cultural group up through the 1740s (though I have been unable to verify that), but I doubt that they still used scandinavian-style knives for generations after they were brought into the British political and economic empire.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 02:37:05 AM »
Well....I suppose it's a lot harder to prove a negative than to make a couple of knives.  So these will go on my bag just the same...

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 02:51:03 AM »
I've always been a fan of scandi grind knives, one thing your examples seem to not have, but I have seen no reference to scandi grind knives in mid to late 18th century colonial America. Please don't take my mention of your not including the scandi grind as a criticism, it is just an observation. If someone finds and example of knives of this style and grind, beyond a one off kind of curiosity, I'd love to know about it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 04:59:34 AM »
Vel ya know dey make sum dandy meat balls too. U betcha.

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 01:04:23 PM »
Dohz r nuttin like italian mitballs.

You’re gonna have to forgive me for being persnickety on where documentation and conjecture meet.  In their best moments, these knives are a neighborhood play  because I would not have the technology and tools to grind a piece of metal into a blade.  That’s what I am paying a blacksmith to do with an old file I gave him at Jacobsburg.
I’ve also learned over the years that, in our best moments, those of us who re-enact or craft  are not studying history…we are studying culture.  There is no way to say that some of these people did not come to Pennsylvania during an age where nobody passed through an  Ellis Island.  If you had the fare, you slipped on a boat.

Research is the sort of thing that can never stop so you can stake yourself in the ground without being fatal to study, because we simply don’t know beyond the limited documentation prior to the nineteenth and twentieth century.   Anybody who stops asking questions becomes becalmed.  That’s why I won’t kill myself just finding  a document or a sample.   Somebody else will probably do that, and all I have to do is keep asking questions.

I remember working in the museum village where I learned to make shoes.  They had documentation for suspenders, drop front pants and one type of shirt.  Combined with straw hats, we all looked like we were in an Amish Army.

The fun in writing about the battle of Lake George and finding all the journals, diaries and letters was eclipsed only by the fun of writing about one of the characters who shot William Johnson in the fanny from the slopes of French Mountain.  The character who made that impossible shot was modelled after a good friend with whom I used to go trekking up there.  If anybody could have made that shot without priority mailing the ball, it would have been that lunatic.  Fun to write about, but sinful to the guy who would claim to be an authority.
Good, bad or indifferent, I will put these blades on a bag, cherish them until I see something else and flip them at Dixons.  If I get the Willys to have a knife I saw in a picture, I’ll write to one of you guys because this forum will be where I can find guys who know .  G’day.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:07:48 PM by thecapgunkid »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »
"Through the weeds rand a thousand Swede's chased by one gosh darn Norwegian"
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.