Author Topic: Painted horns?  (Read 2296 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Painted horns?
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
I have seen examples of painted guns.
I was wondering if instead of scrimshaw, are there any examples of folks painting designs on powder horns?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Painted horns?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »
 Here is one I did and Carla painted it. Page 153 of Tom Grinslade's Powder Horns Documents Of History shows one.
 On page 42 of Art DeCamps Pennsylvania Horns Of The Trade Screw-Tip Powder Horns And There Architecture there is a Screw Ti with painted trim at the butt.

Tim C.

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
Very nice, thanks for the example.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
 ;) ;) ;).... I do have an original Mexican War provenance horn with fractur style designs,.... some of the horn guys say the designs were "acid-etched" into the horn (not engraved)... the designs are faded, but still very visible,.. opinions are that it was made in the Valley of Virginia, mid 1800's, as there was a sizable German ethnic population settled there,... was found near Asheville NC in an antique store a few years ago,.....   

Offline Mick C

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 12:41:15 AM »
Tim, that wonderful.  What type of paint did she use?   It seems that oils would dry so slowly that they would not be practical.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
Very nice horn Tim. And I like the braided strap... I had wondered if that was ever done but had not seen one until you posted this particular photo.

Mike

Offline okieboy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 11:49:39 PM »
 Here is an attempt that I made a while back. It was fun to do. Part of it uses milk paint, which was performed poorly for me and part of it used chalk paint which seemed to work pretty good. Not sure how HC chalk paint is, but I liked the look.

Okieboy

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 02:30:51 AM »
Tim,   I really like that horn.    You both did a great job.

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
The colors used on that horn go together so well.  Wow!! That's impressive.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
hi guys,
looks pretty those painted powderhorns, any idea what sort of paint are used best and do they need a protection coat after painting?

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »
hi guys,
looks pretty those painted powderhorns, any idea what sort of paint are used best and do they need a protection coat after painting?

If you go back to original painted horns here in Eastern PA you see them using milk paints.  Milk paints were commonly used in houses.  Look at some of the Pennsylvania German women's chests.  Milk paints.  Refinishers don't like to deal with them.  A properly made milk paint has to be burned or scraped off.

Bill K.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
  What type of paint did she use?   It seems that oils would dry so slowly that they would not be practical.

It is called a Gouache, it comes in a tube. Basically it is 1/2 Water Color 1/2 Acrylic. It is then painted with a fixative.
 I also used Milk Paint to paint horns, I have never had any complaints about it.
 Here is a link to painting a horn:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=44302.msg433588#msg433588

Tim C.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:54:04 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 05:36:55 AM »
Look at some of the Pennsylvania German women's chests.  Milk paints.

According to Fabian most of the paints used on those old chests were oil paints, not milk paints. Kinda surprised me when I read that, but that is what he says....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mick C

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »
Gouache makes perfect sense.  I think I'm going to have to try this.  Thanks for the info, Tim.  And if anyone can add some other examples, that would be outstanding.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!