Author Topic: My super fancy ramrod channel tool.  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

My super fancy ramrod channel tool.
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:43:43 AM »
Here's something handy I came up with today after messing around for over an hour with gouges,a round rasp with a bent tang and dowels wrapped in sandpaper. It's an old piece of  3/8" ramrod with a metal tip. Hit the face with a fine file, or diamond stone to make some sharp edges, and it really takes off the wood in a hurry from the ramrod channel. Just use 2 hands and push, and touch the face up every now and then

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: My super fancy ramrod channel tool.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:51:38 AM »
I did the same thing with a 3/8" steel rod.  Just grind the end so there's a sharp square edge all the way around, and it scrapes like crazy.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Same here.  The wire racks used by our local bread delivery company are made of tool steel.  I made cutters with a length of the steel, sharpened on the belt grinder, and an "L" bend for a handle.  Great scraper.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Fowler610

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 04:36:58 AM »
Awesome idea, Justin.  Thank you.  Slightly off topic here, but I like what you did to your vice handle, too.  I am always bumping in to that "L"-shaped handle it came with.  I learn so much from y'use guys.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 06:50:02 AM »
Awesome idea, Justin.  Thank you.  Slightly off topic here, but I like what you did to your vice handle, too.  I am always bumping in to that "L"-shaped handle it came with.  I learn so much from y'use guys.
I got tired of getting poked with it too. I like it better this way, but if the handle isn't horizontal or up it gets in the way of the bench, and I can't swivel it.