Author Topic: Headband magnifier!  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Prospector8083

Headband magnifier!
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »
Would anyone recommend a particular brand and model?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Headband magnifier!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
This is what i use.I prefer the glass lenses in these as they last longer than the plastic ones......https://www.riogrande.com/product/donegan-optivisor-magnifiers-with-single-lens/113199gp

Mitch Yates

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »
This is what i use.I prefer the glass lenses in these as they last longer than the plastic ones......https://www.riogrande.com/product/donegan-optivisor-magnifiers-with-single-lens/113199gp

Mitch Yates

I agree with Mitch, plus they have several different strength lens for aging eyes (mine!).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
You can get them on Amazon for $25.00
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:13:14 AM »
Donegan is the gold standard.  There are others.  I have the Donegan -glass, I found used with extra lenses and the loupe.  Not that I use the other lenses or the loupe, but I didn't know.

and it'll go good at the auction.
Hold to the Wind

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:19 AM »
Have used the Optivisor for 43 yrs and haven't had any problems w/ their use. ....the 2-1/2 has an 8" focal length and was used during those yrs. Bought a 3-1/2X  recently and w/ its 4" focal length it takes some getting used to. I use it about 15% of the time.......Fred

Offline john bohan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »
Don't laugh, I just picked one up at harbor freight for less than 5 bucks. Seems ok, it has really helped my engraving.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 05:16:45 AM »
I really like the MegaView. It can be used over your regular glasses. Your peripheral vision is not obstructed by the hooded lenses like the Optivisors. Having used both, I like the Optivisor the best. Shop around; they can be pricey.

https://www.ottofrei.com/Megaview-Visor-Magnifier-With-3-Lens
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:11:29 PM »
Thanks guys,I killed two birds with one stone! I got some Donegan glasses and my daily amazon fix! :) 26 bucks and change!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »
I have an optivisor with a #7 lens, very good for fine detail but cranes my neck getting with in the short. focal length. I decided to get another lens but found the optivisor brand cost $30 and shipping.

I got a knock off just like an optivisor with 4 lenses for $18 shipped free off ebay, the lenses are very good and fit my real optivisor. i actually bought the knock off for the lenses but found the unit itself was pretty good quality and keep my optivisor for close up and the knockoff set up for less magnification.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
I use a #7 optivisor all the time.  In fact, it's typically on my head.  Sometimes I keep it positioned such that I can look through it or below.  It's become something I don't even think about.  I do remember that there was a bit of an adjustment getting used to it, though.  My employees often have trouble with them as well.  I think it just takes a bit of time... 

I remember taking an engraving class with Wallace Gusler, quite a number of years ago.  I'd engrave with no magnification and could see just fine.  Those days are gone!

Jim

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 05:53:21 AM »
What is the address of those knock off lens Eric?

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 01:14:51 AM »
Any person that works close should have their eyes checked at least every four years. Sight goes away very slow. A good eye doctor can help you. If you need glasses, medication or eye surgery.

Online sdilts

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:42:31 AM »
I have used the Optivisor for years. I have never liked it because it felt like my head was in a vise after a while. A while back I ordered a Beileshi magnifier from Amazon. It comes with 5 different lenses and has an LED light. The best part about this thing is that you can wear it like a pair of glasses or remove the side pieces and put on an adjustable SOFT headband. No more feeling like your head's in a vise. I paid less than 20 bucks for it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 05:33:40 PM »
I am a year down the road from cataract surgery according to my eye doc. I am looking forward to it so I can see the sights on my rifle again.

Offline msellers

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
I am to cheap to buy even the HF version of this, so here is my solution. A pair of cheap reading glasses slipped over my regular glasses, or worn with my contacts. It works great, and I can try the different ones at the dollar store to see what works best for the distances I am working at needing extra magnification. Also found the sale at readers.com got 3 pairs shipped for less than one of the cheap pair at walmart.
Mike

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 02:05:09 AM »

Sweetie Pie has been using this method for 27 years with her artwork.
Great minds, tight wallets😂

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 03:37:31 AM »
I've been using these for quite a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/OPTICAID-Wire-Clip-on/dp/B0015PBCGU/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=3527190104&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvqmt=e&keywords=opticaid&qid=1580776443&sr=8-1

Available with several attachment and magnification options.
Jeff
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:58:38 AM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 03:58:04 AM »
I am to cheap to buy even the HF version of this, so here is my solution. A pair of cheap reading glasses slipped over my regular glasses, or worn with my contacts. It works great, and I can try the different ones at the dollar store to see what works best for the distances I am working at needing extra magnification. Also found the sale at readers.com got 3 pairs shipped for less than one of the cheap pair at walmart.
Mike

Well I will met your readers.com and raise you 1 pair at Dollar Tree stores @ $1.00 ;D
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sandy

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
Most of the headband magnifiers that I have seen and used have a single strap going around the head. This means, for me, that if I adjust the band to be comfortable, it slides down so I'm constantly having to push it back up. When I tighten it down so it stays, I get a headache. My solution has been to get a 2-way headband magnifier from Woodcraft. It has an additional adjustable headband that goes across the top of your head. Might be worth taking a look at for $28.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2-way-headband-magnifier-grobet

Offline Bustedknuckles

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »
I use a couple different optivisors, but that one from grobet looks like a better solution!

Offline Jerry

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 04:18:06 AM »
For those of you that have found the Optivisor uncomfortable, I go to a welding supply and purchase the leather snap in head band. Jerry