Author Topic: Bag # 19 - SC Crescent Bag  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag # 19 - SC Crescent Bag
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
This is a heart-shaped SC bag, inspired by the Liberty Crescent on the Revolutionary War flag from the Sullivan's Island attack from 1775.  The bag is cowhide, fully lined in suede cowhide.  The straps are a departure for me, being 1-1/4" wide bridle leather dyed all the way through by the tannery.  The buckle is iron, from a vendor at CLA.  I was going for more of a rustic look on this one.  I hope you enjoy it.  Below is some history on the early SC flag......   God Bless,   Marc

"The Liberty flag was designed, by commission, in 1775 by Colonel William Moultrie, to prepare for war with Great Britain.
It was flown by his troops in the successful defense of Sullivan's Island against the British fleet in June 1776.
Fighting back stridently during a ten-hour bombardment and siege, Moultrie's forces (primarily the 2nd South Carolina Regiment) eventually led the British to withdraw entirely, saving Charleston.
During the battle, the flag was actually shot away, but Sergeant William Jasper ran out in the open and hoisted it again, rallying the troops until a new stand could be provided. The story of this dramatic event, along with the pivotal role of the battle itself, earned the flag a place in the hearts of the people of South Carolina, as well as cementing it as a symbol of liberty in the South.
It therefore became the standard of the South Carolina militia, and when the war officially ended with the liberation of Charleston, on December 14, 1782, it was presented by General Nathanael Greene's "Southern Continental & Militia Army," as the first American flag to be displayed in the South.
The symbol in the top left corner of the flag is a crescent, some say it is a gorget, others say it is a crescent moon, but all texts from the time describe it as simply a "crescent".

Offline BOB HILL

Re: Bag # 19 - SC Crescent Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 02:56:21 AM »
That’s one fine looking Southern bag there, Marc.  Thanks for the history lesson to boot. I’ve engraved that on some of the Silver crescents worn on the Second South’s leather helmets for them.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline gusd

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
Marc, very nice bag & a great history lesson.
Gus

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
Very nice, Marc...I love the colors, and your penmanship on the “Liberty” is spot-on! Great little bag for a southern sqwerl rifle!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »
Hey Greg, I made a “cheat” to do the lettering. I cut a small square hole in posterboard. I used that as a template to keep the letters the same size. That is, of course, after I made a mess of Attempt #1. 😳. God Bless, Marc

Offline Palmetto1781

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
A really great looking bag Marc! Nice to see the Palmetto State being represented so well here on the forum. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Bill

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
That’s a great looking bag Marc, very nice job.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
A fine bag and a wonderful history lesson.
Thank you!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
WOW!!  What a nice looking project and the explanation is adds to it.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
 Beautiful bag Marc, Well done.

Tim

Offline wolf

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 11:26:06 PM »
very nice bag. I was born and live in SC for the last 62 years and I will go under here. I live about 30 minutes from Charleston. there is a lot of history here. I have land by the Edisto river, that is where my cabin is located I live in. the land was occupied by the  natchez cusaw Indians. in the 1700s the british ran them off and put three houses here. my yard is littered with pottery, my neighbor found a round ball of around 60 cal. in his yard ,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:29:56 PM by wolf »
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »
Beautiful piece Marc

Offline scottmc

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
Marc, nice bag!  I sent u a pm with a couple of questions.
Remember Paoli!