Author Topic: Note to Moderators - Patches and Lubes  (Read 5570 times)

Offline LynnC

Re: Note to Moderators - Patches and Lubes
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
However I still think a “Basics” sticky could work.

Its already been written. Its just a matter compilation.

I'm just not qualified to compile it 😉

I remember way back in the old days when “The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle” by Ned Roberts was the only book i could find in the library. We are so blessed with such a wealth of knowledge here.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
Yes - that was a super good text.  Ned's rendition of the Dutchman - "Ven you loads der next shot, you cleans der last shot".
I simply worked out what was necessary to do that. The result was never having to wipe the bore before loading the next one,
no matter how many next ones were required.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
Lets face it gentlemen, entire books have been written on the subject of loading and shooting the MLR.

It starts out simple.....powder, patch and ball.  Then it ever expands from there to cover every possible scenario.

It fast becomes a daunting task 😉

And what works here in the dry Rocky Mountain climate may not work in the wet east, and vice versa.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
Lets face it gentlemen, entire books have been written on the subject of loading and shooting the MLR.

It starts out simple.....powder, patch and ball.  Then it ever expands from there to cover every possible scenario.

It fast becomes a daunting task 😉

And what works here in the dry Rocky Mountain climate may not work in the wet east, and vice versa.

Isn't that what leads to blowing down the pipe or into a  tube for some precious humidity.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
Some do, some don't blow down the barrel.  We shoot locally in roughly 50% average humidity - no wiping nor blowing necessary.
When the humidity is high, like raining at 85% or higher even, no wiping, except need to wipe the pan out before re-priming.
When we shoot at Hefley in the late summer/start of fall, the temps are usually high, can be upwards of 100F and the humidity can
also be high, 60'ish, or low, in the single digits, like 6 or 7. Same process as loading at home & the same components are used with
no wiping. What works at home in higher humidity, also works at Hefley in low humidity as well. No change and no felt change in loading.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
Some do, some don't blow down the barrel.  We shoot locally in roughly 50% average humidity - no wiping nor blowing necessary.
When the humidity is high, like raining at 85% or higher even, no wiping, except need to wipe the pan out before re-priming.
When we shoot at Hefley in the late summer/start of fall, the temps are usually high, can be upwards of 100F and the humidity can
also be high, 60'ish, or low, in the single digits, like 6 or 7. Same process as loading at home & the same components are used with
no wiping. What works at home in higher humidity, also works at Hefley in low humidity as well. No change and no felt change in loading.

Well I'm sure I've read this before, thanks for straightening me back out.   ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 12:16:14 AM »
Might be over thinking this again. I am a "blow down the barrel" kind of guy. Not because of humidity or to soften the crud. That is not an issue here in the Pacific Northwest. I blow down the barrel to prove the barrel channel is clear as I don't pick after every shot. Caplock or Flintlock I blow after every shot. Any other benefits from doing it are a blessing.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 12:53:45 AM »
You and I both, Mike.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
And there's another topic that pops up and gets lots of traffic over and again.

Blowing, as safe as competent shooters know that should always be, is not permitted on many ranges/competitions and will get you removed or DQ'd for violating their notions of safety. 

Hence the blow tube.  Such that you don't put your head directly over the discharged bbl- in the case that it didn't discharge (and you failed to notice such lack of discharge-as some think could be possible).

Those are the basics.  You blow or you don't and there's two ways to do it, and the second way keeps your pucker pristine. :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:10 PM »
The "Muskrat" blowes down the barrel right after each shot. I will never buy the reason you may have not realized that your rifle didn't go off. REALLY?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Frank

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »
Back in the 70s 80s and 90s everyone blew down the barrel. There are well established reasons for doing so. All this $#@* now about what you cannot do just ticks me off. Been shooting flintlocks for 44 years and nobody was so stupid as to not know their gun didn’t go off.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
Frank: we need to shoot together! Less rules and regulations, more fun and enjoyment.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 01:50:37 AM »
When I started in BP everybody (almost anyway) was taught to blow down the barrel. That was in 1976. Now it's just an old habit.

I don't really see a problem with new discussions about old subjects. After all, if the participants are different shooters than was in the old post then it becomes a new post. And these new guys might just bring something very relevant and unthought of to the discussion.
Sometimes I check in here day after day with hardly any new activity, at least new, old posts, gives me something to read.
And if these posts aggravate some people then just don't read them.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2019, 03:07:41 AM »
This topic has run its course and drifted into other areas I am locking it.
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:30:15 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson