Author Topic: Tighter HC stitches  (Read 1815 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Tighter HC stitches
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Accoutrements has become my favorite spot on this forum because there are so many of you who, in stitching by hand, create some really good looking stuff.  This post is for those guys who are using off the shelf hole punchers, large harness needles and maybe a clamp to stitch  to the point where you are wondering how you can cut labor time  ( if doing this for money) , grow the margin by cutting the cost and make a tighter stitch without holes the size of the Holland Tunnel.

In 1975 when I apprenticed under my Master at Bethpage Village, the first thing he taught me was to taper thread ends, use smaller harness needles/bristles, personalize my awl and use a clamp.

He was so precise as to be gifted in the way he worked, and I still not have cleared his bar.  He promised me that using marking wheels, working carefully and gaining experience would streamline my stitching and he was dead on right. 

HOWEVER…I could never ‘whip the cat” and close a seam as fast as he could.  Sort of like playing the five string for years and never being a close second to Earl Scruggs.  To make tight stitches, well waxed with minimum sized holes and without needles the size of ten penny nails, I had to work slowly.  In the nineteenth century work, when machine work started to take over, my Singer Patcher proved fine.  But the 18th Century work was always laborious because I had to carefully keep each stitch straight and even.

Make sure you peruse the forum for all those guys complaining about eyesight.  That’s what drove this.  Just when I started worrying about my accuracy as my eyesight weakened, a solution fell out of a tree on me.  Do some YouTube searches on stitching with bristles and tapering thread ends.  Then do one on  “Cobbler Sewing Machine” out of China.  I call it the Mig-15 because it is the biggest piece of junk that ever did its job well. It is cheap, cumbersome, marginally engineered and has a manual so bad that you gotta go back to YouTube just to learn how to keep it functional….IF…you want to stitch with it.  Yuch…

You can stop here if you fancy yourself as a purist and enjoy working exclusively by hand.

The first thing I did was to strip off anything having to do with thread or bobbins.  No way this thing was going to stitch any of my work.   I had to mount it on a special bench because the three legs it came with wouldn’t hold up tomatoes.
 The needle was lauded as being able to poke holes through tires,  That wasn’t bad until  I took a close look at the regulators on stitch length, and needle attachment.   Summa Gum…I betcha I could make use of some of my pegging awls here.     I dug through the prescription bottle that housed about fifty and  pulled one of the pegging blades, ground the little flat at the top of the blade so it would mount on the machine and then ground AND POLISHED ( YOU GOTTA POLISH) the blade.   How you shape your awl blade will govern the size and type  of the hole you want.   I LIKE TO DIAMOND SHAPE MY BLADES because that’s the way I was taught.   There is a little regulator nut above that chunky cylinder to govern how far the needle goes into the bobbin hole.  There is also a little nut under the main arm that governs footer advance and stitch  length

Again, vision was the main driver for trying this thing,  but every fourth or fifth project I still stitch the old time way my Master taught me just to stay in shape.  The rest of the time I still scribe the lines by hand, but stabbing with this guy makes everything go a lot faster providing you guide carefully with your left hand while turning the cumbersome crank with your right.  Once in the clamp, closing is easier on my awl because all I am doing is clarifying and shaping the hole rather than making it.  Works great on the stiffer cowhide and just as well with a paper bag backer on softer, more supple leathers such as deer and elk.  It is strong enough to go through buffler, too.

Sacrilege and Heresy notwithstanding, I’d recommend that you take a look at this contraption especially if the volume of your work justifies it.   Maybe do what I’ve done with it…IF…you are willing to tinker so that you get your stabbing holes the way you want and the finished experiments produce stitches that are tight, even, and don’t betray the use of this Frankenmachine.  You can search for the thing and find it in the $189 to $200 range.  Then you can make the decision as to whether or not it’s worth it.  I can do a bag in about four hours if I concentrate on it.   Shoe uppers in about twenty minutes.   I don’t age my work, but my stitching is consistent with 18th century specimens.

Tight Stitches
Capgun

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Tighter HC stitches
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:37:02 PM »
Excellent tutorial.
Andover, Vermont

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »
I like it, and pricewise even for a few projects a year or some repair work would justify the cost in my eyes.
Mike

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:27:19 AM »
Thank you. Even without the info on the machine I learned a few things.

Offline DougS

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
Excellent read.

Thank you for sharing your insight. Good Information.

Regards,

Doug

Online snapper

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
A buddy bought one of these machines and I have not borrowed it yet, but perhaps this winter.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »
I do all my leather sewing by hand only because I don't do enough leather projects to justify a machine BUT if I did I would spend the money and buy a GOOD leather sewing machine - one that does not have to be "tweaked, coddled, cajole, or modified" to work "sometimes without issues". There is nothing worse than having to stop what you are doing to @$#% with a cantankerous piece of machinery to get it to work properly >:(. This I have learned after MANY years of making do with bargain oddball or junk equipment.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 02:56:56 AM »
Berkuta is dead on.  That's why I only ask this thing to do one thing...stab even holes.  All the could-go-wrong stitching parts are in a box.

When I first saw it having a glorified stabbing awl was also the first thought.  I suppose that was the result of years of experience.  My Singer Patcher and the Boss I used to own always required attention and tuning.

In any case, the final appearance of the stitches on a closed seam is all important.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm glad you posted this. In your picture of the awls and other tools, the third tool from the left, next to the divider, what is it? I have one and have seen others with various ends that screw into the handle but I don't really know what it is used for.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »
I'm glad you posted this. In your picture of the awls and other tools, the third tool from the left, next to the divider, what is it? I have one and have seen others with various ends that screw into the handle but I don't really know what it is used for.

Looks like another awl... I have one similar that you can loosen the collet and change tips... Awls, fids, etc...

Mike

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
Mike is right.  It is an awl, at earliest from the nineteenth century ( as far as I know), where the blade is one of several curve types. 

My Master taught me that the curve is for prying up the hole.  On inseaming on a shoe, where you are joining the inner sole, upper and welt in a hold-fast seam, it stabs the hole in all three pieces.

This kind of a seam, seen often in 18th century work allows you to stab the face of the leather and come out the edge;

Cordwainers would work with a block and stirrup, where the foot rests on a chunk of wood, the stirrup holds the piece in place at the seated thigh, and the little wooden thingies are placed between the thigh and the piece to stabilize a slight curve;

Like this...

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
Interesting information. If I worked with sharp tools in that manner and position, I'd better have a lot of band-aids, wound cleaning solution, and be up on my tetanus shot.

Offline msellers

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing all the additional information, I need to learn some of thos skills for another one of my hobies utilizing leather work. You definitely have it figured out and are a working master in my opinion. Even if you feel you aren't in your eyes.
Mike